Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Slides and Accents
Thank you for expressing that much better than I was trying to! Indeed nearly all the synths in my studio simply respond with a slide behavior with this overlap. If you look at, for example, the F-R Mobius sequencer, it even has an adjustible slide time knob, which varies both the CV rate of pitch bending as well as the midi note overlap timing. For an classic TB-303 style acid slide, a slide duration (aka Glide Duration) of 50% is perfect. I've even seen samplers respond to the same midi note overlap situation with a glide behavior added to the pitch of the samples, etc. For majority of creative baselines and indeed acid, having specific notes be able to slide and not others is "mission critical" to get things to bob and weave properly. A synth's portamento amount is too universal in this regard (across all the notes in a sequence/arp).

There has to be a way... because just coming at this from an artist perspective, the NDLR has a chance to be the single most important badass sequencer in the acid universe, but exactly only to the extent that slides and accents can be "assigned per step" on, say, the RYTHM wheel of the NDLR. This is the acid way... yes, but it is also the key to some of the best basslines and melodies in the world, too. IMHO, respectfully, and extremely lustfully, can we have this as a FR on the roadmap? I'm willing to shell out of pocket to help dedicate cycles towards this. The NDLR is that important to me and the acid/techno/trance community!

I'm going to paste a post from awhile back.. this rang a bell for me from the old MachineDrum days of working with some of the same limitations, but this poster might have an elegant way to achieve note specific legato on the NDLR too... leveraging two midi tracks targeting the same channel, in order to achieve step-specific legato. In a separate post he demonstrates this by getting his x0xb0x to do a proper acid line with the MachineDrum's midisequencer:

----8<----8<----8<----Sure. When using MD midi machines, if you use one track to one synth and set the note length of one step to be long enough to overlap the next note triggered, you would expect legato behavior. But, you do not get it. A note off message is always sent before the next note on. The MD sequencer is optimized for drum sequencing this, I guess, was not seen as a priority. I'd like a 2nd type of midi machine added with different features. I doubt that much development will come of the MD's OS though.

Legato is especially important to me, for synths with a glide/slide on legato setting or a retrigger LFO on legato. How a monosynth reacts also depends on if the note priority is high, low, or last.

So, to get legato you need two tracks. Set the midi machines of both tracks to the same channel your synth is receiving. Set the note length of the 1st track long enough that it overlaps a note trigger on the 2nd track. You now have the ability to program legato in your sequences. Cumbersome at 1st, but it does lead to things I would not have come up with on a different sequencer. If you save a different note number or velocity with each midi machine, rather than P-locks with one track, you eat up more tracks, but some very interesting things can emerge very fast.

Tips:
1. Use many tracks with midi machines on the same channel and use mutes to introduce slides and other variation. The tracks in addition to the main track can be very simple, but introduce a lot of variation.
2. You can add really interesting instant slides on the x0xb0x. The tracks on the MD with midi machines are triggered in order. If two notes are places on the same step on different tracks, the lower numbered track will send a message just before the higher numbered track. So you can have a slide come from anywhere, not necessarily from the same direction or distance as the previous note that was sounded.
3. Hold the original note long enough that its length surpasses the 2nd note and you will get legato back to the 1st note
----8<----8<----8<

via: http://www.elektron-users.com/index.php?...551#191551

post with sound demo of x0x: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/how-to-ma...nes/1076/8

Could this same technique work on the NDLR's current architecture?

Messages In This Thread
Slides and Accents - by shagghie - 09-06-2020, 08:48 AM
RE: Slides and Accents - by Jesse Johannesen - 09-06-2020, 11:49 AM
RE: Slides and Accents - by shagghie - 09-06-2020, 03:21 PM
RE: Slides and Accents - by Darryl - 09-11-2020, 11:45 AM
RE: Slides and Accents - by House de Kris - 09-11-2020, 05:03 PM
RE: Slides and Accents - by shagghie - 09-12-2020, 08:38 AM
RE: Slides and Accents - by Jesse Johannesen - 09-13-2020, 11:22 AM
RE: Slides and Accents - by shagghie - 12-10-2020, 10:00 PM
RE: Slides and Accents - by House de Kris - 12-12-2020, 04:14 PM
RE: Slides and Accents - by isaacanthony - 05-22-2021, 03:52 PM
RE: Slides and Accents - by BusenD - 06-26-2021, 04:10 AM