Conductive Labs Support Forum
Usb and latency ableton - Printable Version

+- Conductive Labs Support Forum (https://conductivelabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The NDLR (https://conductivelabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: MIDI Connectivity (https://conductivelabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Usb and latency ableton (/showthread.php?tid=843)

Usb and latency ableton - Rob van Erp - 02-06-2020

Hey Guys and Girls,

As of yesterday also a NDLR,
hooked the thing up, setting the ins and out in d the pref menu inside ableton and started jamming, great !! 
external sync inside the NDLR en its starts and stops with the transport from ableton. 

But when playing and recording the midi there a lag, or latancy ...any idea how to prevent this, i allready tried to change it in the prefs menu but no luck..

thxs in advance

RE: Usb and latency ableton - Jesse Johannesen - 02-06-2020

Hey Rob, Let's see what we can do to help you find a solution. First things first! I need more info.
can you give me a very specific run down of what you were attempting to do as in:
a. noodler connected via usb controlling such and such plugin
b. set each midi track to record to midi
c. with ableton as master clock hit record and play (mentioned external sync already)
d. the notes are all one eighth note off.
etc.
give as many steps as you can, cause one of those might be the thing that stands out as the issue.

1. I know you mentioned hooking it to ableton, it sounds like you're connected via usb is that the case? (edit:just re-read the subject line, got this one.)
2. It would also be helpful to know, have you used other midi devices with ableton before? Do you have one you can hook up to test the latency?
3. is there an audio interface? ASIO? I know I used to get a lot of latency playing midi back in the day without an ASIO driver for my interface.

Any other NDLRs here using Ableton care to chime in on this?

Let's start with that and hopefully we can get this sorted.
Jesse

RE: Usb and latency ableton - damenzman - 02-28-2020

Hi,

-->It seems to be a generell problem of Ableton. I have same issues with all external gear, when I want to record MIDI from internal sequencers or arpeggiators of ext. hardware.
The Ableton support knows about these issues for years. But no solution up to now... :-(

Best,
Michael

RE: Usb and latency ableton - Ricky - 07-12-2020

Hi Jesse & Rob,

I have received my NDLR couple days ago and I'm having similar Midi issues where (PAD, Drone, Motif 1 & Motif 2) are all nicely synced to each other but not quite with ableton.
NDLR is 0.0.1 bar behind Ableton Clock.

My setup:
NDLR connected via USB
NDLR Clock - USB 1

Ableton settings:
NDLR USB 1 - Channel 13 - Pad - Arturia VST
NDLR USB 1 - Channel 14 - Drone - Arturia VST
NDLR USB 1 - Channel 15 - Motif 1 - Moog Sub 37
NDLR USB 1 - Channel 16 - Motif 2 - Arturia VST

I also run my moog sub 37 & ableton push 2 in ableton and haven't had any Midi issues to date, which leads me to believe it is a NDLR centric midi issue.

Really loving the unit so far & keen to get this resolved in order to add my elektron rytm to the mix Smile

RE: Usb and latency ableton - Jesse Johannesen - 07-13-2020

(07-12-2020, 09:16 PM)Ricky Wrote: Hi Jesse & Rob,

I have received my NDLR couple days ago and I'm having similar Midi issues where (PAD, Drone, Motif 1 & Motif 2) are all nicely synced to each other but not quite with ableton.
NDLR is 0.0.1 bar behind Ableton Clock.

My setup:
NDLR connected via USB
NDLR Clock - USB 1

Ableton settings:
NDLR USB 1 - Channel 13 - Pad - Arturia VST
NDLR USB 1 - Channel 14 - Drone - Arturia VST
NDLR USB 1 - Channel 15 - Motif 1 - Moog Sub 37
NDLR USB 1 - Channel 16 - Motif 2 - Arturia VST

I also run my moog sub 37 & ableton push 2 in ableton and haven't had any Midi issues to date, which leads me to believe it is a NDLR centric midi issue.

Really loving the unit so far & keen to get this resolved in order to add my elektron rytm to the mix Smile
Hey Ricky, I'd love to help out with this issue.
It sounds like the NDLR is receiving clock on usb1, is that correct? And that Live is sending the transport messages,  play, stop etc?
If this is all correct, then what I want you to try is to set the bpm really slow in ableton, turn on the metronome. While live is stopped enable play all on the NDLR and then hit play on Live. what we want to look for here is the bpm indicator just below the center of the screen, there is a blue/red circle next to the bpm, this indicates downbeats. When live starts playing the downbeat should match up with the blue dot, and the next three beats will show up as red.
Try this out and let me know what your results are.

All the best,
Jesse

RE: Usb and latency ableton - Carlbark - 01-23-2021

Hi!

I thought I would pick up on this thread as I recently have been investigating some midi latency issues when trying to run VSTs in Maschine via NDLR.

I have connected the NDLR via USB to my PC running windows 10. No other software running except Maschine 2.12.1.

The BPM is set to 10, and the Midi from the NDLR is recorded into a pattern.
I initialize by stopping all, then start (Arming) and after that start record in Macschine into a pattern which triggers the NDLR to start playing.

The beats (color of the BPM "dot") is correct as far as downbeat is concerned, however, the midi note timing is off by almost 1/64 as shown in the first screenshot (the grid is set to 1/64 in all pictures)

In the second picture, the BPM is 90 and the delay is now very close to 1/64. The final example the BPM is 150 and the delay is now more than 1/64.

Latency pictures

All examples are showing motif-1 with rythm preset 1 selected and clock div set to 1. 

This makes jamming with for instance a drumkit running in maschine in conjunction with VSTs controlled by NDLR a bit irritating. Is this to be expected when sending MIDI to a DAW?

RE: Usb and latency ableton - OnMyWayHome - 09-20-2021

Hi I'm about to do similar with NI Maschine - Is this resolved now guys? Thanks.

RE: Usb and latency ableton - Jesse Johannesen - 09-20-2021

I didn't see the previous post until now, but without more testing it will be impossible to say what's going on here. I can say that I haven't seen this particular latency on the motif part with my Ableton setup (although we are currently working on a fix for the latency that occurs when changing chord/scale/key via CC, which I did see). Computer MIDI is a real pain to troubleshoot (so is any MIDI come to think of it) because there can be sooooo many variables. Ableton is pretty notorious for being bad to sync with in general, however I haven't had that experience myself so I guess I'm lucky.
Carlbark if you're still seeing issues with this please email me at support@conductivelabs.com and we can try and get to the bottom of it. If you managed to find a solution to the issue please do follow up and let me know what you came up with.
Jesse
Jesse