Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Integration
Hi

I'm about to buy a NDLR as I've wanted one since it appeared but my question is this: I have quite a large dawless setup which is centred around a Toraiz Squid, a Novation Circuit and a 1010music Blackbox. All this lot control a few synths and a couple of drum machines and I'm pretty happy with how it all works but would like to add some of that NDLR magic into the equation. Would the best bet be to place the NDLR between the Squid and the synths hanging off the midi outs? I'd still like to be able to use the Squid as the clock master and to be able to sequence some parts from it.

Hope all that makes some kind of sense... Big Grin

John
(06-18-2020, 12:37 PM)John Wellington Wells Wrote: Hi

I'm about to buy a NDLR as I've wanted one since it appeared but my question is this: I have quite a large dawless setup which is centred around a Toraiz Squid, a Novation Circuit and a 1010music Blackbox. All this lot control a few synths and a couple of drum machines and I'm pretty happy with how it all works but would like to add some of that NDLR magic into the equation. Would the best bet be to place the NDLR between the Squid and the synths hanging off the midi outs? I'd still like to be able to use the Squid as the clock master and to be able to sequence some parts from it.

John
Hey John, it's definitely possible, the NDLR does pass midi data through on any channels that are not tied to controlling it, but since it processes all that data before sending it on it takes up a lot of CPU time to do so, which isn't ideal, so it's recommended to do so as little as possible. I personally haven't run into any limits in this regard, but it does have at least some potential to cause problems. I would recommend experimenting with it to see what works.

If you can send midi clock and start / stop out of the squid and sequence midi to the NDLR control channel, that would be optimal, this would allow you to sequence changes from the squid (this is really a fun way to interact with the NDLR!) and then have the NDLR send midi notes out  to downstream devices.

It will no be an iterative process, but if you run into trouble I'm here to help!

Good Luck
Jesse
(06-18-2020, 04:46 PM)Jesse JohannesenThanks for that, I\ve just pushed the button on a second hand unit so now I have week to wait while I indulge in fantasy MIDI routing options.CheersJohn Wrote:

John
Hey John, it's definitely possible, the NDLR does pass midi data through on any channels that are not tied to controlling it, but since it processes all that data before sending it on it takes up a lot of CPU time to do so, which isn't ideal, so it's recommended to do so as little as possible. I personally haven't run into any limits in this regard, but it does have at least some potential to cause problems. I would recommend experimenting with it to see what works.

If you can send midi clock and start / stop out of the squid and sequence midi to the NDLR control channel, that would be optimal, this would allow you to sequence changes from the squid (this is really a fun way to interact with the NDLR!) and then have the NDLR send midi notes out  to downstream devices.

It will no be an iterative process, but if you run into trouble I'm here to help!

Good Luck
Jesse
(06-19-2020, 08:43 AM)John Wellington WellsHiMy NDLR arrived today and I love it but there seems to be a thing, either I\m missing something or it doesn't do what I want ideally.What I want to do is to use my squid as the clock master (this is working) and for the squid to stop and start the drum machines etc which are downstream. I also want to be able to choose if the NDLR or the squid is triggering synths. I can get this to work but somewhere the MIDI time clock is getting lost even though start stop messages are turning 'play' lights on and off.  The clock messages are also important for midi synced lfos and delays etc. I have a 10 way MIDI through box with most of these things driven from there from one squid output.I appreciate it's a complicated setup and I can reroute all my midi if I need to as a work around but would ideally not want to.Am I being dim and missing something, I have even read the manual!Thanks for a great bit of kit.CheersJohn Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 04:46 PM)Jesse JohannesenThanks for that, I\ve just pushed the button on a second hand unit  so now I have week to wait while I indulge in fantasy MIDI routing options.CheersJohn Wrote:

John

Good Luck
Jesse
Hey John, I think the answer to this problem is going to be found in the Boot Menu. If you hold down the [SHIFT+MENU] buttons while powering up, you will be taken to the Boot Menu. There are a number of settings in there but the one you want is the green one, "Mot-1 ClkOut" if this is set to off, the NDLR will not pass midi clock to downstream devices. To toggle this press the white motif 1 button until it on is displayed, then to save and exit press the panic button at the top right of the unit. Let me know how that goes.
Cheers,
Jesse

(Edit: changed Mot-2 to Mot-1)
(06-25-2020, 07:27 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Hey John, I think the answer to this problem is going to be found in the Boot Menu. If you hold down the [SHIFT+MENU] buttons while powering up, you will be taken to the Boot Menu. There are a number of settings in there but the one you want is the green one, "Mot-1 ClkOut" if this is set to off, the NDLR will not pass midi clock to downstream devices. To toggle this press the white motif 1 button until it on is displayed, then to save and exit press the panic button at the top right of the unit. Let me know how that goes.
Cheers,
Jesse

(Edit: changed Mot-2 to Mot-1)
Hi

Me again. I'm still not getting any joy. I'd already done as you suggest so I'm a bit baffled. I've attached a diagram of my set up so you see if I'm being dim. (usually am)  I'm aiming the clock based stuff at MIDI in B. I've been busy so haven't had much chance to fiddle but I've RTFM a couple of times.  Thanks for your help.

John
Hey John, I'm sorry to hear that isn't working for you. I wasn't able to see the attachment with your setup either, do you want to try to post it again, or post a link to an imgur upload if that still doesn't work?
Talk soon,
Jesse
Hi

I've had some time to play today and it seems that all the midi data is being passed including mtc but not the start stop commands. Drum machines will run in time if I start them from their front panel controls.

I'll try again with the diagram. It should be a jpeg.

Thanks for your time on this, very much enjoying the NDLR experience and looking forward to making some good tunes using it.

John
Subsequent to my earlier post I have updated the firmware to the latest Beta version and it nearly works... Start and stop now work as does the mtc thru. But start stop only works when you push one of the 4 ndlr buttons. So this means I can't start with a drum machine a squid sequence or a sample and then introduce some ndling. Any thoughts?

Your pest

John