Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird voicing
Hi all,

Got my NDLR yesterday and dreaded this moment because once again i had to learn a new instrument and its functions, well it turned out NDLR is pretty straight forward and easy to learn. However after menu diving for a day i decided to recreate the first part of the youtube video made by Genshi :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp-J9NpEEx0

Got the scale set to Mixolydian and sus2 just like in the video but not matter which pattern i choose for motif 1 it will have a wierd voicing and will sound nothing like the video when i press the I + III + V + IV

Pattern is in CHORD mode and i assume same thing is done in the video.

Any ideas why i'm not getting the same type of voicing ?

I have tried other pattern position and pattern editing and voicing just comes out very odd at least on the III button.

Firmware v1.1.009
It looks like Genshi was using C - Mixolydian mode. There are so many variables, it's not easy to replicate something like this.
Thing is, this first part of the genshi video cant be replicated no matter what you do because voicing is wrong no matter what pattern or setup you use.

To get as close as you can to that snippet in the video use the following setup:

1. Turn on NDLR
2. Set mode to Mixolydian
3. Set voicing to SUS2
4. Set Motif 1 to pattern 5 (plays ARP)
5. Set Motif 2 to Pattern 6 (plays Bass)
6. Set tempo to 124

Here is a link to a mp3 file i made of the setup (2mb):

https://www.filedropper.com/ndlrvoicing

Selecting III in this progression (like the video) is wayyyy of from what i would expect. Progression is I + III + V + IV.

Whats also is wrong in general is that Motif 2 (which is Bass) rarely plays anything in base key but choose to play a second harmony rather than doing as bass line. This happens in all scales.
Edit: Definitely different, but that video was made with an early pre-beta unit and a lot has changed. We'll take a look and make sure its playing the right notes.

Regarding the bass, both motifs play from the same note pool. However, by creating a pattern you can make them very unique. Especially if the pattern is using scale vs chord notes. And of course, you have to change the motif position to play lower notes, and your synth voice should be in a low octave.

If you have something more specific in mind, please consider I am not a musician but I have access to people to translate :-) but try to describe it with that in mind.