Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick, easy way to brick a NDLR
This morning I started a new Teensy project.  Downloaded the latest Teensyduino, plugged in a Teensy 3.2, opened Blink, and hit the download button.

My NDLR was connected on another USB port.  And you can guess what happened next -- I flashed Blink onto the NDLR.

So now I know there's a Teensy inside the NDLR, and I can see its amber LED blinking away.

I was able to reinstall the NDLR firmware easily enough; after all, I already had the Teensy loader open.  So this story is a comedy, not a tragedy.
(02-27-2020, 08:57 AM)kbob Wrote: This morning I started a new Teensy project.  Downloaded the latest Teensyduino, plugged in a Teensy 3.2, opened Blink, and hit the download button.

My NDLR was connected on another USB port.  And you can guess what happened next -- I flashed Blink onto the NDLR.

So now I know there's a Teensy inside the NDLR, and I can see its amber LED blinking away.

I was able to reinstall the NDLR firmware easily enough; after all, I already had the Teensy loader open.  So this story is a comedy, not a tragedy.
Whoooh, there is a special type of anxiety that is specific to flashing firmware updates, I once bricked a Novation Circuit doing an upgrade, and my-oh-my, what a tense 20 minutes that was discovering whether or not there's a way to bring it back (spoiler alert, there is!) I'm glad you were able to figure that out without too much trouble.
Jesse
That's the reason we love the Teensy platform, its virtually unbrickable with the dedicated firmware loader MCU. So far (knock on wood) we haven't had a unit brick yet.

By the way, you can probably identify the Teensy parts in this picture.