Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Touch Control Near Complete - CC Bugs
I have posted a rough video showing the main features of the Ndlr Control Templates that I created using TouchOSC... the video shows wireless control of the NDLR via the Iphone. I have finished templates for the IPAD and Android devices as well.

The NDLR is connected to the computer and signals from TouchOSC are being sent from my phone via the custom template and then transferred to the NDLR. YOu don't have to work wirelessly if you have a midi adapter for your IOS or Android device you can use a midi cable and control the NDLR from your device via an attached midi cable. Wireless is nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7z9ua4U...e=youtu.be
(02-03-2020, 01:45 PM)Scotty_123 Wrote: First off thanks for the thoughtful feedback. I'll try to give a set of repeatable steps to replicate the reset Volume issue of Motif 1 when a clock stop message is received. I do know it is not dependent on the TouchOSC as it happens with or without the app running.  I'll come back with some better information for you.

The only issue that you haven't mentioned is the menu corruption issue that I documented and others have experienced as well.  That occurs when you are editing menu values using CCs but happen to be looking a different menu page than you are editing remotely via CC. 

For example changing the humanize values via CC will temporally show erroneous values in the Pad menu box on menu page 1/3 if you are on physically on that menu page whilst editing the humanize CC.  In fact most if not all menu items that are being edited via CCs will show erroneous information on menu items  if you happen to editing remotely  a menu related CC whilst viewing  a different/unrelated menu page.
[/quote]
Hey Scotty, I'm happy to be able to help! As far as those two issues go, it looks like they're both still open for now, so I'll follow up again once we have any further updates. I can't wait for a look at your control video, bring it on.
Jesse
Here you go... 

I have posted a rough video showing the main features of the Ndlr Control Templates that I created using TouchOSC...  the video  shows wireless control of the NDLR via the Iphone. I have finished templates for the IPAD and Android devices as well.

You need to buy both the TouchOSC application and my templates or make your own which totally manageable and cool but it is time consuming. I've done a lot of this kind of work using TouchOSC. I am charging 8 Euros for 4 templates which are optimized for the size of the device which you have.. phone, tablet etc. 

The NDLR is connected to the computer and signals from TouchOSC are being sent from my phone via the custom template and then transferred to the NDLR.  YOu don't have to work wirelessly or have a computer. If you have a midi adapter for your IOS or Android device you can use a midi cable and control the NDLR from your device via an attached midi cable. Wireless is nice though and there are other benefits to routing through a computer.

Although I don't show it .. you can route the midi output of the template through your DAW and record all of the button presses, chord changes, positions patterns etc and then play them back without having TouchOSC connected.   You can do some rough editing to timing of note presses, chord types and scale/modes as chord types and scales/modes show up in your DAW as midi notes which can be moved around and adjusted for timing or selection of alternate chord types and chord degrees ( if you didn't like what you performed)   This option isn't necessary but is nice to  be able to easily record your performance as midi data for later editing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7z9ua4U...e=youtu.be

I have a few straightforward ideas that would further enhance TouchOSC control of the Ndlr which I'd like to talk to someone at Conductive Labs about. The ideas aren't grandiose and I don't believe that they would take a lot of internal memory to implement. Coding isn't easy I realize but I think what I have in mind is reasonable provided there was a will and perhaps demand for a little expanded functionality.

i am really enjoying the Ndlr... can you tell?
Oh man that video is glorious. Great work on this dude.
Jesse
(02-04-2020, 08:25 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Oh man that video is glorious. Great work on this dude.
Jesse
Thanks Jesse.. I really appreciate the interest and the feedback you are providing.  I think the fact that your team decided to provide control CCs for the majority of the functions was  a touch of brilliance.  If you are open to having a video chat with me at your convenience I have some thoughts I'd like to share that I think would really open up more possibilities for the TouchOSC control.   Let me know if you are keen and we can set something up. I am not looking for anything just an ear. I think this device is already amazing. I see a couple of opportunities that could enhance it for live performance that I don't think are over the top or far fetched that would be easier to discuss then to write about it.
Hi Scotty/All,
Just uploaded a new FW beta v1.1.064 with new fixed MIDI CC stuff...  please read the release notes on the beta page. :-)
Let us know if this helps (or breaks) anything!

BTW AWESOME work on the TouchOsc template!!!!  We really love seeing how users can extend The NDLR with templates for controllers!
I would be happy to do some beta testing if your looking for testers.

Steve & Darryl & Jesse
PS we couldn't replicate: "When adjusting clock in values using in values 0  to 7  on CC 68 - the clock in updates perfectly but it also modifies the MOTIF 1 values on menu page 1/3"
(02-05-2020, 10:46 PM)Wow that was fast!  I will read the documentation and apply the firmware, then test midi control / assignments.  For the the Motif 1 turning off at clock stop messages Ill capture that on video as well and post it here.  I'll PM you the templates once I get the midi assignments working and would love your input.  I am thinking now that I'll just give them to you for your customers and maybe you could suggest a small optional donation to me via paypal to encourage the effort. I'd be happy with that. I can contribute to the community that way and keep it low key. It is fun and I am so impressed with your work.

I do have some suggestions that are reasonable that could enhance this kind of remote control involving CC control.  It would be easier to talk it through via skype or messenger but if you don't have time to get that close to a customer I can understand that for sure. Otherwise I will put it in writing and try to be clear in my communication. Obviously I have no expectations but there is some "low hanging fruit" that is just dying to fall off the tree that could make a nice difference for your users. Perhaps you have already considered them but I will outline them if you are unable to skype / messenger about them. 

I have just flashed the firmware and I am applying the new CC mappings to the templates and will get back to you later today. Thanks for listening to the feedback and getting this out so quickly.

Steve Wrote:
Hi Scotty/All,
Just uploaded a new FW beta v1.1.064 with new fixed MIDI CC stuff...  please read the release notes on the beta page. :-)
Let us know if this helps (or breaks) anything!

BTW AWESOME work on the TouchOsc template!!!!  We really love seeing how users can extend The NDLR with templates for controllers!
I would be happy to do some beta testing if your looking for testers.

Steve & Darryl
PS we couldn't replicate: "When adjusting clock in values using in values 0  to 7  on CC 68 - the clock in updates perfectly but it also modifies the MOTIF 1 values on menu page 1/3"
I didn’t have time to look at the turning all parts on and off with a single cc yesterday. Not sure how difficult to do yet. In the mean time I was wondering does TouchOSC have multiple cc messages on a single button press?
Feel free to PM me.
Thanks,
Steve
Bug Reports and Documentation Errata for Firmware beta 1.064 and Manual 1.7

Thanks Steve... to the best of my knowledge you can't assign multiple CCs to a single button press. I will look into this further though to be certain.. Also I got your email that you sent today and responded. I am also posting the bug reporting and documentation errata that I found in my testing to this point. I am actively updating my templates with the new features and CCs that you enabled... I hope that this is helpful.

Documentation Errata

Motif 2 Midi Port is mapped to CC 24 ... documentation says CC 26

Send Midi Stop Start Continue on CC 58 has a range of 0 -9 - Documentation says 0 -8
Documentation should indicate as follows:
Value of 1 = All Ports Value of 2 = No Ports (missing from documentation ) Value of 3,4,5,6, = USB 1 - 4 , Value of 7 =
MIDI A, Value of 8 - MIDI B, Value of 9 = MIDI A & B

NEW CC ISSUES

Load Chord Sequence ... Chord Sequence Load 1 is Broken AND no option to Load 0 Chord Sequence

Using CC 89 entering value of 1 will not Load Sequence 1 ( Sequence 2, 3 , 4 and 5 do load as expected).
IMPORTANT : There is no way to LOAD Chord Sequence 0 which is important if you don't want to be in Chord Play mode.
mode... Solution? perhaps extend CC range to 1 to 6 and add LOAD 0 as option with CC 89 Value 0 + fix broken Load 1 sequence.

* Previously Unreported Issue

Updating Motif 2 Pattern length via CC 44 doesn't update the numerical value in yellow on the ndlr hardware when motif
2 screen is selected. The graphical representation updates correctly and the pattern length appears to be selected
correctly and playing properly. It is just the numerical value which doesn't update its value.. Motif 1 Pattern Length value updates as expected. To be clear
I am referring to the numerical value in yellow that appears on the line where accents are displayed with 0...0.... on the Motif 2 page on the hardware.

CONFIRMED FIXES - (fantastic!)

All Midi Port and Channel Settings are confirmed to be working
All Menu Corruption appears to be solved when controlling via CCs

I haven't tested the other fixes that are mentioned in the documentation but will confirm later today when I get to that point. I am actively updating my Templates with the new features (CCs) that you have enabled etc. Also I will test your new CC for Toggle All Parts which you sent via email which I really appreciate. Thanks!

Video Chat?

If you can suggest a time and that works for you via Messenger Video (preferred) or Skype .. I'll organize my thoughts. It shouldn't take more than 5- 10 minutes to connect at most. If you can give me your time zone as well .. I am in southern Ontario , Canada on Eastern Standard Time.

Also confirming that the issue "When adjusting clock in values using in values 0 to 7 on CC 68 - the clock in updates perfectly but it also modifies the MOTIF 1 values on menu page 1/3"

This has been resolved with the menu artifact solutions that you implemented... it was part of the same problem that you have addressed in firmware Firmware beta 1.064... Very happy that you have fixed that issue. I was thinking that could be tricky one to squash.. Bravo!
(02-06-2020, 12:21 PM)Scotty_123 Wrote: Bug Reports and Documentation Errata for Firmware beta 1.064 and Manual 1.7

Thanks Steve...  to the best of my knowledge you can't  assign multiple  CCs to a single button press. I will look into this further though to be certain.. Also I got your email that you sent today and responded. I am also posting the bug reporting and documentation errata that I found in my testing to this point. I am actively updating my templates with the new features and CCs that you enabled... I hope that this is helpful.

Documentation Errata

Motif 2 Midi Port is mapped to CC 24  ... documentation says CC 26

Send Midi Stop Start Continue  on CC 58 has a range of 0 -9 - Documentation says 0 -8
Documentation should indicate as follows: 
Value of 1 = All Ports  Value of 2 = No Ports (missing from documentation )  Value of 3,4,5,6,  = USB 1 - 4 , Value of 7 =
MIDI A, Value of 8 - MIDI B,  Value of 9 = MIDI A & B

NEW CC ISSUES

Load Chord Sequence  ... Chord Sequence Load 1 is Broken  AND no option to Load 0 Chord Sequence

Using CC 89 entering value of 1 will not Load Sequence 1 ( Sequence 2, 3 , 4 and 5 do load as expected).
IMPORTANT : There is no way to LOAD  Chord Sequence 0 which is important if you don't want to be in Chord Play mode.
mode...  Solution? perhaps extend CC range  to  1 to 6 and add LOAD 0 as option with CC 89 Value 0 + fix broken Load 1 sequence.

* Previously Unreported Issue (Resolved see Update below) 

Updating Motif 2 Pattern length via CC 44 doesn't update the numerical value in yellow on the ndlr hardware when motif
2 screen is selected. The graphical representation updates correctly and the pattern length appears to be selected
correctly and playing properly. It is just the numerical value which doesn't update its value.. Motif 1 Pattern Length value updates as expected.  To be clear
I am referring to the numerical value in yellow that appears on the line where accents are displayed with 0...0.... on the Motif 2 page on the hardware.

CONFIRMED FIXES -  (fantastic!)

All Midi Port and Channel Settings are confirmed to be working
All Menu Corruption appears to be solved when controlling via CCs

I haven't tested the other fixes that are mentioned in the documentation but will confirm later today when I get to that point.  I am actively updating my Templates  with the new features (CCs) that you have enabled etc.  Also I will test your new CC for Toggle All Parts  which you sent via email which I really appreciate. Thanks!

Video Chat?

If you can suggest a time and that works for you via Messenger Video (preferred) or Skype .. I'll organize my thoughts. It shouldn't  take more than 5-  10 minutes to connect at most.  If you can give me your time zone as well .. I am in southern Ontario , Canada on Eastern Standard Time.

Also confirming that the issue "When adjusting clock in values using in values 0  to 7  on CC 68 - the clock in updates perfectly but it also modifies the MOTIF 1 values on menu page 1/3"

This has been resolved with the menu artifact solutions that you implemented... it was part of the same problem that you have addressed in firmware Firmware beta 1.064...  Very happy that you have fixed that issue.  I was thinking that could be tricky one to squash.. Bravo!

* Previously Unreported Issue - Resolved Update 

The issue regarding the numerical values for pattern length was just my misunderstanding regarding the interaction between that value and the variation options for the Motifs. I have most of it sorted out and it makes sense. We can scratch that one off the list. There is one related question below if you can confirm or correct my assumption. 

* If you select Variation 6 (Random)  the Numerical values for Pattern Lengths  (1 to 16)  show as 1  for  Pattern 1  AND Zero for Patterns 2 through to 16 . What is the underlying reason for this?

All the other settings pertaining to Motif Pattern Length and the  Variation interactions update the numerical value logically and make perfect sense (now after scratching my noggin for a bit).