Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pad not playing correct amount of notes
Hey NDLR's,

Sorry if this is a stupid question with a simple answer, but i have 5 notes selected on the Pad and it's only sending out 2 note/partial chords. I've written a sequence using the triad buttons on the NDLR. I've tested this with a hardware and software synth and i get the same 2 note/partial chords.

Any ideas please?!
Yes, the number of notes on PAD can change depending on Chord, chord type, Key and mode. Its not exact.
It would be helpful if we understood the underlying logic of how this works so we can get more predictable results even as we are noodling. Is it possible to explain that in clearer terms? Maybe with 1 example perhaps?
Oh wait, do you have a spread set for the PAD? When using spread, we can't predict the number of notes when you change the range.

Appendix D of the manual has an overview of how notes are selected from the note pool.
(01-22-2020, 07:33 AM)Scotty_123 Wrote: It would be helpful if we understood the underlying logic of how this works so we can get more predictable results even as we are noodling. Is it possible to explain that in clearer terms? Maybe with 1 example perhaps?
Hey Scotty, good question, I'll see if I can get the relevant details together and give an example.

(01-22-2020, 07:33 AM)Scotty_123 Wrote: It would be helpful if we understood the underlying logic of how this works so we can get more predictable results even as we are noodling. Is it possible to explain that in clearer terms? Maybe with 1 example perhaps?
Hey Scotty, good question, I'll see if I can get the relevant details together and give an example. 
Jesse

Jesse
Sorry this took me so long, I started researching this a month ago, but ran into some kinks and needed to actually go over the code with Steve in order to actually determine what each spread setting meant. 

So to get into it, the first part is that the pad plays notes from the note pool, which is determined by what Key and Mode you are playing in. For our example lets say C for Key and Major for Mode.  This means we have all the white keys in our note pool.

Next the Chord degree we are pulls 3 (or 4 for complex chord shapes like 7th) notes out of this pool. These are the notes that are playable by parts across all octaves.

This info is illustrated really nicely at the end of the manual and does a much better job than my description.

The Range setting is how many notes starting with the center and alternating between adding notes above and below. 

The Position is the center point of the range. 

Here comes the part that I had to dig for:

The following is a list of the rules that define the pad note behavior based on the spread settings: 

Spread 1: play all notes 

So in setting 1, the lowest, pad plays every note in the chord degree across all octaves in the current range settings. For Chord Degree 1 we would get a Major Triad C-E-G across the entire range.

All Spreads > 1...
     range of 4 notes or less, play only roots in lower 2 octs
     range of 5 notes or more, play only roots in lower 3 octs  Plus...

So then in all the other settings the lower octaves only play Root Notes in the lower 2 octaves, and if the the range is set to a value greater than 4, the Pad will only         play roots in the lower 3 octaves. (This was done because it prevents muddying the low end, and because that's what sounded good during testing.)

Spread 2:
     in oct 3 - play root & 5ths
     in oct 4 - play 3rds & 7ths
     in Oct 5:
               if 7th chord - play no roots
               else        - play all
     in Oct 6&7 - play no roots
     in Oct 8 or higher - play only roots 
Spread 3:
     in Oct 4 play all notes 

I call this one Piano Lessons setting because you are basically getting roots from the left hand and chord voicings 

Spread 4:
     in all Oct (>3) 70% chance of playing notes 

This is like a random chord voicing, the roots play and all legal notes in the upper registers have a 70% chance to play. 

Spread 5:
     in all Oct (>3) root and 5th notes only

More sparse and no sonority as there are no major or minor thirds. This leaves more room for the Motifs. This pairs nicely with the Scale based Motif setting. 

Spread 6:
     Oct 3 root only
     Oct (>3)
        if 7th chord - play 3rd or 7th notes
        else      - play root or 3rd notes

I hope this is helpful! 
Jesse

[color=rgba(var(--sk_primary_foreground,29,28,29),1)]Message jesse_chat

[/color]