Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gate setting on Drone
Hi, 
I really like to see some gate setting on all 4 parts, or at least on drone. No gate settings really giving me hard time with HW synths using some bass sound.

Thanks
Yes, gate would be a good thing to have. Its been on our list, but because the code was designed for everything being legato, its quite a large and risky undertaking to make at this point. We might look at this again when we finish MRCC. In the meantime, you can get the motifs to behave like they have a gate with some creative use of the Rhythm patterns.

The other way to control gate is on the synth itself, by adjusting the ADSR. You could even control ADSR parameters with the NDLR mod matrix if your synth supports it.
I'd like to be able to adjust re-trigger time of the drone to slow it down much more. I use ADSR as gate, to trigger stab chords, but often find I want it to happen less frequently so have to record into my DAW and then change the length between notes.

Would this be possible?
You mean, like re-trigger Drone on every X chord changes? Interesting idea. So you could set X to 5, and it would trigger on every 5th chord change.
Or a Drone "clock divider" so rather than trigger every "on one", it would be every X "on one". Set to 5 it would trigger on the first down beat of every 5th bar.

Not exactly what you were going for, but you could change the drone trigger mode with the modulation matrix, or a MIDI CC. With a square wave LFO, you could alternate from "root" mode (doesn't change) to "chord" mode, where it will change with the chord change. In this way, the drone would drone on the same note(s) until you toggle it back to chord mode. The notes turn off, or retrigger when the Drone mode changes, so you will have to experiment to see if it works out. You can use Shift-Drone to start and stop the modulation, which might be a useful shortcut for doing it live.

To set up this modulation, pick a mod slot...
Set destination to "DRONE TRIGGER"
Set LFO to 3, for a square wave. You can change the number of beats in the LFO CONFIG menu
Set MOD AMT to about 47%
Set DEST VAL to 1

That should get it toggling between drone trigger mode 1 and 9. You can set number of beats to something short and use Shift-Drone to toggle the mode, or set it long for automatically switching modes.
I was thinking along the lines of clock divide by will have a shot at your suggestion. Cheers
Another idea Steve thought up, is you could create a Rhythm with up to 32 tied beats, and the motif with that rhythm would play for that long before retriggering. However, you would have to "sacrifice" one motif rather than using the drone part. Then you could make rhythms with different lengths and switch them as needed.
Interesting idea but seems a shame to lose a motif and the drone, to some extent. Would it possible to add clock division to the drone section?
We have a pretty long list of potential new features, but its going to be awhile before we get back to any major changes, other than bug fixes to The NDLR. We're deep into developing our new product MRCC. After that, we'll revisit the list and see what we can do.