Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a MIDI keyboard to input Motifs
What I am most interested in doing with the Motifs is to use them for simple fixed sequences, such as you can program on a regular hardware or software sequencer. The way I am doing this is to create a pattern in the pattern editor using type 'chromatic' and then entering the notes. It is laborious doing this with the knobs but I see you can also use a MIDI keyboard to enter the notes. This almost does what I expect except the recorded notes are transposed from what I play. When I have C selected as the key (the default) everything is transposed up by three semitones. I have found I can record the actual notes (almost) if I select the key to E-flat, in which case all the notes are transposed up by an octave.

I am guessing there is a 'musical' explanation for what is going on here, but is there an easier way to do what I want?
MarkH

[Image: gGzCVFp.jpg]
(12-27-2019, 10:17 AM)Almost Aviation Wrote: I’d like to be able to do this too. It certainly is laborious using the editor. It would be great if it could be implemented without the E Flat workaround?

What I am most interested in doing with the Motifs is to use them for simple fixed sequences, such as you can program on a regular hardware or software sequencer. The way I am doing this is to create a pattern in the pattern editor using type 'chromatic' and then entering the notes. It is laborious doing this with the knobs but I see you can also use a MIDI keyboard to enter the notes. This almost does what I expect except the recorded notes are transposed from what I play. When I have C selected as the key (the default) everything is transposed up by three semitones. I have found I can record the actual notes (almost) if I select the key to E-flat, in which case all the notes are transposed up by an octave.

I am guessing there is a 'musical' explanation for what is going on here, but is there an easier way to do what I want?
This is a reasonable request, and it would be nice to have it work the way you are describing. However... its actually much harder to do than it sounds. Because the pattern numbers are just a relative index into the note pool, its actually pretty complicated to get a straight up sequence. Even though in Chromatic mode, there are things going on with motif position, and voicings, like inversions, that can throw off what the note order is in the note pool, that you would expect to be matched to a pattern value.

In any case, I recommend adjusting the motif position until the root note aligns with the C (or whatever) on your keyboard. But keep in mind as soon as you move the position its going to transpose.
Oh, and you might have to do the workaround for the motif position increments that you described in the other post, until we get that worked out.
(12-30-2019, 02:22 PM)Darryl Wrote: In any case, I recommend adjusting the motif position until the root note aligns with the C (or whatever) on your keyboard. But keep in mind as soon as you move the position its going to transpose.

Yes, I have realised it only works if I leave it where it is. I will keep playing for now.
MarkH

[Image: gGzCVFp.jpg]