Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wrong sus4 Chord Notes and Chord Display in Eb
(01-16-2020, 01:18 PM)Darryl Wrote: We don't currently have plans to add more scales, but it could be done. Besides Melodic Minor, are there others that would be a priority?
There could be many, but I think the basic 7 tone scales that would cover most "Flavors", in addition to the Major scale and its modes, and the Harmonic Minor would be; (IMHO)

Melodic Minor (Ascending Jazz Minor)
Double Harmonic
Harmonic Major
Hungarian Major
Neapolitan Major
Neapolitan Minor

I see that you have a "Gypsy" Scale, but i don't know what the intervals are, as that's a name applied to many different eastern European scales, including the double harmonic. At any rate, do the chords become diatonic to the scales when you choose another scale that you do have?

Thanks!
Yep, the chords are diatonic to the Key and mode/scale. The chord on The NDLR is the means of changing the note pool for all of the parts. Its not a traditional sequencer, so you aren't picking notes, you are creating a note pool based on the Key, Mode, Chord and Chord type. Each part plays from this notepool.
While the PAD part plays chords, its named PAD because it was intended to play PAD type synth patches. Though, within its limits you can play chord progressions. The main limit being it is always legato.
The motif patterns are by default playing the Chord note pool, but can be made to play from the Scale, or Chromatic. Chromatic is pretty unwieldy as its patterns are just relative values so it tedious to try to force it to be a traditional sequencer. We use our KeyStep, Beatstep Pro or Korg SQ-1 for traditional sequencing.
You can get crazy and jump around to different keys and modes while playing, so you can technically get to most any chord. The built-in chord sequencer lets you change key and mode for each step.
Yeah, been watching lots of demo videos. I don’t think I can live without one!
(01-16-2020, 03:04 PM)xencage Wrote: Yeah, been watching lots of demo videos. I don’t think I can live without one!
Heart We had to have it too, so we made it!
(01-16-2020, 02:14 PM)xencage Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 01:18 PM)Darryl Wrote: We don't currently have plans to add more scales, but it could be done. Besides Melodic Minor, are there others that would be a priority?
There could be many, but I think the basic 7 tone scales that would cover most "Flavors", in addition to the Major scale and its modes, and the Harmonic Minor would be; (IMHO)

Double Harmonic
Harmonic Major
Hungarian Major
Neapolitan Major
Neapolitan Minor

I see that you have a "Gypsy" Scale, but i don't know what the intervals are, as that's a name applied to many different eastern European scales, including the double harmonic. At any rate, do the chords become diatonic to the scales when you choose another scale that you do have?

Thanks!
Can we add new scales using API librarian?
/9 TUPLE
(01-23-2020, 02:56 PM)Soundimizer Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 02:14 PM)xencage Wrote:

Double Harmonic
Harmonic Major
Hungarian Major
Neapolitan Major
Neapolitan Minor

Thanks!
Can we add new scales using API librarian?
Scales are in the code, and they are tuned to work with how the parts play them. So no, there's no way to upload scales.
This seems somewhat related to the previous post. I noticed when noodling in the harmonic minor scale, the chords and patterns don’t conform to the scale tones, for example the III chord should be an Augmented triad. This means that if I set up a noodle in harmonic minor, with the intent of improvising in the harmonic minor scale with another synth, the chords and patterns will have “wrong” notes for my purposes. This is how I usually jam, by exploring a scale, mode, or tonality. Which the NDLR is an excellent tool for this approach, though beyond the major scale it doesn’t work.

Could the chord and pattern note pools be made to, or have the option to, conform to the selected scale’s note pool? 

I would love to see the NDLR’s scale options expanded, as mentioned before, but in order to fully explore other tonalities the chords would need to be drawn from the scale. 
A really cool option would be the ability to build chords off diatonic 3’ds or diatonic 4’ths from each scale degree (Diatonic to the selected scale).

Anyway, really loving the NDLR!
It would be great to have minor blues scale. I'm also interested in experimenting with Klezmer which has its own odd scales so just a user defined scale function would be best.