Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polyphonic Midi/USB-to-CV/Gate Interface
Has anyone tried this Doepfer Module ( A-190-5 ) with NDLR to see if they can get the full features of NDLR working with their Eurorack?

Looks great if it would work......not sure I would want to take a $550 AUD chance though.....any advice/info?

Polyphonic Midi/USB-to-CV/Gate Interface
Module A-190-5 is a four voice Midi/USB to CV/Gate interface. For each voice a pitch control voltage (CV1, 1V/octave standard to control VCOs), a gate output (to control envelope generators) and two additional control voltages (CV2, CV3) are available. The two additional CV outputs can be controlled by Midi velocity, volume, modulation, pitch bend, after touch or free assignable Midi controllers.
These modes are planned (without obligation):
four voice monophonic (i.e. to control four monophonic voices by four succeeding Midi channels)
four voice polyphonic (i.e. to control four monophonic voices by one Midi channel) with several sub-modes (e.g. rotating / non-rotating)
two voice polyphonic (i.e. to control two monophonic voices by one Midi channel)
unisono
The basic mode is selected by means of a momentary switch (probably Mode or Algor.) and is shown in the LC display. Certain parameters of each mode can be edited (e.g. the midi channel(s), the midi reference note for 0V CV, assigned controllers for CV2 and CV3). For this the momentary switch Edit/Play is used. The parameter values (e.g. midi channels) are shown in the display and can be modified by means of the momentary switches 1...4. In Play mode the LEDs of these four switches display the gate states.

http://www.doepfer.de/a1905.htm
  • 120 mA +12V

• 40 mA -12V

• [i]?[/i] mA 5V

• 55 mm deep
This Module is currently available.
I also plan to use the NDLR with this module. I'm interested in some info.
(03-25-2020, 11:34 AM)Path Wrote: I also plan to use the NDLR with this module. I'm interested in some info.
I haven't used the Doepfer A-190-5 but I have been successful with the sixty-four pixels CVOCD midi to CV box, and can recommend that. Also the Mutant Brain is an in the rack version of the same open source hardware so I imagine it should also work. The caveats are that you need to be able to send a SYSEX file to the device to get your settings in the thing, so having a midi port on the computer and MIDIOX installed basically. The way to set up the SYSEX file is an interactive website which allows you to configure the settings you want and download the SYSEX to your computer. 

Jesse
Thank you for your answer but I'm sorry, I do not understand. You tell you had to configure the Mutant Brain with the SYSEX file. Only the Mutant Brian ? Or is it an operation I'll have to do whatever the MIDI to CV module/box I want to use ?

There is some alternatives to the Doepfer A-190-5 MIDI to CV module. As I know, there is
- Polyend Poly 2
- Mutable Instruments Yarns
- Vermona Modular qMI2 - quad Midi interface
There are a lot more if I look in modulargrid database.

It would be nice if the community share their experience with modular interface.

Sorry if I missed this information on this forum.
(03-26-2020, 01:26 PM)Path Wrote: Thank you for your answer but I'm sorry, I do not understand. You tell you had to configure the Mutant Brain with the SYSEX file. Only the Mutant Brian ? Or is it an operation I'll have to do whatever the MIDI to CV module/box I want to use ?

There is some alternatives to the Doepfer A-190-5 MIDI to CV module. As I know, there is
- Polyend Poly 2

It would be nice if the community share their experience with modular interface.

Sorry, the device that I own is called CVOCD. It's made by a sixty-four pixels, and the project is open source. it's a little plastic desktop box about the size  of a tv remote. Hexinverter made an in the rack version of it and call it mutant brain. they run the same (or very similar) firmware, but each has their own programming interface but in order to add the settings to the module you must first download it to your computer and then send it to the device via midi. The best way i found was MIDIOX. This is a little tricky and if you make a mistake you may have to begin the process again, so it can be frustrating.

I haven't used other modules but I know that some don't even offer an app to set them up, so you may have to dive through menus on the device, possibly with limited visual feedback, which for me means I will never get it done (i just can't get it together for that kind of thing usually). Many will have an app for setting them up, I've browsed the ones for the expert sleepers fh2 and the Endorphin.es shuttle control and they both appear to be able to edit the settings via the web without much headache from the look of things, but I haven't had hands on experience with either one. If I had to buy one again I would go with one of those two.

I hope this was more helpful,
Jesse
Yes understood thank you. Smile
(03-26-2020, 02:20 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 01:26 PM)Path Wrote: Thank you for your answer but I'm sorry, I do not understand. You tell you had to configure the Mutant Brain with the SYSEX file. Only the Mutant Brian ? Or is it an operation I'll have to do whatever the MIDI to CV module/box I want to use ?

- Polyend Poly 2

Sorry, the device that I own is called CVOCD. It's made by a sixty-four pixels, and the project is open source. it's a little plastic desktop box about the size  of a tv remote. Hexinverter made an in the rack version of it and call it mutant brain. they run the same (or very similar) firmware, but each has their own programming interface but in order to add the settings to the module you must first download it to your computer and then send it to the device via midi. The best way i found was MIDIOX. This is a little tricky and if you make a mistake you may have to begin the process again, so it can be frustrating.

I haven't used other modules but I know that some don't even offer an app to set them up, so you may have to dive through menus on the device, possibly with limited visual feedback, which for me means I will never get it done (i just can't get it together for that kind of thing usually). Many will have an app for setting them up, I've browsed the ones for the expert sleepers fh2 and the Endorphin.es shuttle control and they both appear to be able to edit the settings via the web without much headache from the look of things, but I haven't had hands on experience with either one. If I had to buy one again I would go with one of those two.

Jesse
Hi Jesse, thank you for your help. I'm trying to use my doepfer A-190-3 as midi to cv unit for my ndlr but i can't manage to make i work. It seems my ndlr doesn't send gate signal to the module. Do you jave any advice? Thenk you
(12-17-2020, 08:35 AM)AngeloLG Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 02:20 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote:

- Polyend Poly 2

Jesse
Hi Jesse, thank you for your help. I'm trying to use my doepfer A-190-3 as midi to cv unit for my ndlr but i can't manage to make i work. It seems my ndlr doesn't send gate signal to the module. Do you jave any advice? Thenk you
The NDLR doesn't send Gate signals period. It only sends note on and note off messages, so the gates are derived from those. I have never used the A-190-3 so I can't really do much to troubleshoot. I would try using a midi keyboard and see if it works that way as a first test to make sure it's not a hardware issue. If that works, I would see if Doepfer might have some idea what the issue could be. Does the manual mention any settings that may have been changed?
Let me know what you find.
Jesse

I don't know if this would cause the gate not to appear at the gate output, but it looks like jumper JP2 on the back of the module is for sending the gate signal to the BUS channel of the power ribbon. Maybe make sure it's not fully jumpered (connect the shunt to just one pin in other words).
J