Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disabling MIDI Clock Output when NDLR is Synced to External Clock
Hi,

In my setup I have all my MIDI devices connected to a iConnectivity MIO 10 which handles all of the MIDI routing / merging. I'm trying to use my sequencer (a Deluge) as the master clock and have set the NDLR to external clock mode. In this case, the MIO 10 will route the clock from the Deluge to all the other MIDI devices, including the NDLR. 

The problem I'm having is that the NDLR is echoing the clock to its MIDI outputs and so back to the MIO 10. This makes sense when the instruments are directly connected to it's MIDI outputs. However, in my case it means I get two sets of clock signals, which are then merged by the MIO10 and so cause all sorts of problems.  It doesn't help that the Deluge auto detects internal / external mode for the clock by listening for clock messages. As soon as the NDLR echos a clock tick, the Deluge switches from internal to external clock and everything stops.

So, is there a setting in the NDLR to disable the clock echo? The MIO 10 lets me work around the problem by filtering out real time messages from the NDLR's MIDI port but it means remembering to undo this change if/when I want to make the NDLR the master clock. I was wondering if there is a way doing this where I only have to reconfigure the NDLR...
Hello, we do not currently have a setting to disable MIDI thru on The NDLR. Fortunately you have a solution to filter clock, but it would be good to hear from others if this is a common problem. We could automatically disable MIDI thru when using external clock, or we could have a switch for disabling MIDI clock, but we don't have any free menu slots and would have to come up with a creative solution for that.
Re: free menu slots.

What if when we had the menus up, we could hold down the menu button and press an encoder to bring up another menu page?  You could indicate the presence of an alternate page with an asterisk in the upper right corner of the title (user menu 1/3 *).  If there was no alternate, then nothing would happen, but that sequence if hold+ press would toggle between the 2 pages.

Tom
> or we could have a switch for disabling MIDI clock
+1 for this option. I have a case for this too (e.g. the Cirklon sequencer automatically switches to slave when receiving a Start message)

Re. free slots: my first thought would be to click menu again to access a second page.

e.g. Main screen, press menu = menu page 1. Press menu = menu page 2. Press menu = back to main screen.
(01-10-2019, 03:46 AM)Chab Wrote: > or we could have a switch for disabling MIDI clock
+1 for this option. I have a case for this too (e.g. the Cirklon sequencer automatically switches to slave when receiving a Start message)

Re. free slots: my first thought would be to click menu again to access a second page.

e.g. Main screen, press menu = menu page 1. Press menu = menu page 2. Press menu = back to main screen.

I thought about that, but in my mind, since the "extra" menus will be much fewer and much less used than the main ones, having to cycle through them just to get back to the main screen seems like an extra step.  That's why I suggested holding the Menu button and pressing an encoder to get to the specific extra menu as needed.

Of course, we have no idea what's possible in the code and how much memory is available for extra settings/screens.
Please see the new forum, The NDLR Open Beta Firmware. Steve implemented an option to turn off sending clock on all ports. Its currently in the boot menu, accessed when you power on The NDLR while pressing the Shift + Menu buttons.