Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
global settings confusion
I’m not sure if I understand global settings.
Please clarify this for me.
For me each global setting represents a song or arrangement. 
I can hardly imagine I could use one global setting for two songs
If yes, can we get more slots ?
Global settings store just about every parameter, including current modulation matrix settings, current pattern and rhythm, everything in the menus, whether parts are playing or stopped, etc. So they are relatively large. The only room left in the eeprom is saved for the upcoming chord sequencer. We had originally planned to use extra flash space for storage, but it turns out with the environment that we used to develop The NDLR, there was no safe way to do that. So we had to compromise when we chose how many global saves vs patterns to store. Perhaps someday as a workaround we'll make a patch manager so you can backup and restore global settings and patterns.
(12-18-2018, 05:14 PM)Darryl Wrote: Global settings store just about every parameter, including current modulation matrix settings, current pattern and rhythm, everything in the menus, whether parts are playing or stopped, etc. So they are relatively large. The only room left in the eeprom is saved for the upcoming chord sequencer. We had originally planned to use extra flash space for storage, but it turns out with the environment that we used to develop The NDLR, there was no safe way to do that. So we had to compromise when we chose how many global saves vs patterns to store. Perhaps someday as a workaround we'll make a patch manager so you can backup and restore global settings and patterns.

Thanks Darryl! 

Got it... so some how-to or “best practice” how single global setting can be used to perform multiple songs/performances. 
Or just use those 10 global settings as 10 performances right ? 

So let’s do a simple math to demonstrate what you describe. Say we have  3 variation snapshot per global settings: Here is what needs to be saved:
1. All knob settings (main functions) 8x2 ~~~ 16 bytes (some 3rd function(s) don’t need to be saved
2. Mod matrix 8x4
3 LFO 8x1 
Total 16+32+8=56 bytes    
so 3 variations per Global setting mean: ~~160 bytes extra per global preset ... which is 1.6kB of storage
hmm ok that is a lot if you limited to to 2k or something like that. 

I couldnresist to suggest this last thing: 
I don’t think we need more than 3 global settings, but I think we would like to store 20 performances 
So If you take 7 global settings and use that memory for 160 Bytes performances then you wouldn’t have the memory shortage right ?
hello team conductive labs, do you think that the purchase of moog's grandmother could be in symbiosis with noodler?

Musically for thé noobs
The Grandmother is awesome, and would be a great companion to The NDLR.