Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Control both PC and Hardware via USB at the same time.
Hi I have this set up that I want to control . Can I do it? I know how to do 1. But how would I do step 2?
Or is there anotherway to do it? 

1) Keyboard (keystepro) connected to ableton playing midi notes. (yes)
2) Keyboard  (keystepro) controlling another mdi hardware via MRCC through the USB link ? 
To send it midi data. and one clock control from keysteppro for both hardware. 

tks!
M

[Image: Screenshot_2023-06-01_at_11.50.07_AM.png]
Are you saying you've tried (1) and it works, but you've not gotten (2) to work?  It looks very straightforward, and should work fine, so long as the device in (2) is USB compatible, which most are.  Evidently Ableton is one of the few programs that can follow MIDI clock, so this looks fine.
(06-01-2023, 04:03 PM)Dark Waves Wrote: Are you saying you've tried (1) and it works, but you've not gotten (2) to work?  It looks very straightforward, and should work fine, so long as the device in (2) is USB compatible, which most are.  Evidently Ableton is one of the few programs that can follow MIDI clock, so this looks fine.

HI yes , I cant seem to route USB 1a to USB 2c. 
Am I doing something wrong? 

[Image: Screenshot_2023-06-01_at_8.05.08_PM.png]
Each of the USB ports has a pair of buttons (guessing maybe what you're calling a / b and c / d?) of which the left one selects your source / input, and the right one your destination / output, as needed.  Once you've selected a source, until you select a new one, any destination you select will be added.  In your case, if the keyboard is on USB A, press the left button (you should notice the possibility to choose one of the first four numbers in the output section while you hold the button; these are 4 virtual USB input ports in case a device can use them, but for most gear, #1 is the only one that will work).  Now that you've chosen the source, pick as many destinations as you want.  For the hardware connected to USB B, just press the right button to select it, and that should complete that routing.  You said the PC is already good to go, but the principle is the same, press the right button on the USB device port (while holding it you can choose any of the 12 virtual ports going to the computer using output buttons 1 to 12).

Hope that all makes sense.  If I follow what you are saying and the diagram, it looks like your 1 + 2 are MRCC ports A + B, and your letters are the left / right pairs, and if that's true, then what you've labelled 2c is another input, not the destination, so it may be you were off by one button.
(06-02-2023, 02:19 AM)Dark Waves Wrote: Each of the USB ports has a pair of buttons (guessing maybe what you're calling a / b and c / d?) of which the left one selects your source / input, and the right one your destination / output, as needed.  Once you've selected a source, until you select a new one, any destination you select will be added.  In your case, if the keyboard is on USB A, press the left button (you should notice the possibility to choose one of the first four numbers in the output section while you hold the button; these are 4 virtual USB input ports in case a device can use them, but for most gear, #1 is the only one that will work).  Now that you've chosen the source, pick as many destinations as you want.  For the hardware connected to USB B, just press the right button to select it, and that should complete that routing.  You said the PC is already good to go, but the principle is the same, press the right button on the USB device port (while holding it you can choose any of the 12 virtual ports going to the computer using output buttons 1 to 12).

Hope that all makes sense.  If I follow what you are saying and the diagram, it looks like your 1 + 2 are MRCC ports A + B, and your letters are the left / right pairs, and if that's true, then what you've labelled 2c is another input, not the destination, so it may be you were off by one button.

Got it thanks. made the connection as you mentioned. But it still doesnt work. A in is going to C out. But no midi signal is being sent from C to external hardware. Are there other settings I need to tweek?

Best

[Image: IMG_1585.JPG]
ok solved it. faulty USB cable!
Glad you got it sorted.
Oh man, I hate when it's something like that! I had that happen not too long ago and ended up beating my head against the problem for way too long, changed a cable and it immediately worked. I'm glad to hear you found the culprit!