Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clock voltage
Hi,

I was planning to use the clock from my Doepfer A-154 as the main clock to sync my NDLR, but the A-154 clock output voltage is around 10v, so that would be a no-go according to NLDR manual (max 5v).  I find it very surprising that Conductive labs choose to limit the accepted voltage to 5v, all the clock signal I have seems to be in the 10v range... it looks like a common clock voltage.

I don't want to take the chance of blowing up my NDLR clock input bu just trying it...  10v being a common clock voltage, is there a known workaround that is safe (safe being, not using an attenuator module and taking the chance of an accidental fatal twist of a knob)?  Maybe the schematics for a simple passive circuit (I'm not an electronic buff, but I guess I could put it together if it's simple enough)?

Tx
The reason that the limit is 5V is that the Power is derived from the USB power which is a 5V convention. It wasn't a choice designed to limit options, but a limit imposed by options taken in the design. You may be able to whip up a simple voltage divider with a couple of Resistors. Here is a link to an example in a circuit simulator:
https://tinyurl.com/2y5fp4ez

You could either get a couple of jacks and make this or cut a wire and strip the leads and connect them to a strip board layout. I would honestly just use the attenuator, and just put a piece of tape on the knob if it had you feeling uneasy. It would be easier and probably less of a chance to mess it up.
Attenuator
Attenuator it will be I guess
Tx all