Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midi to host over Ethernet?
Is it  possible to connect a MRCC over ethernet to a Mac Host? Like the MioXL uses RTP-Midi?
No the MRCC doesn't use any ethernet networking protocols. The expander uses the same jack, but that's it's only similarity, a different protocol is used to communicate between units.
It does seem like a missed opportunity, would you expect it to ever be added? It would be nice to not be limited to where the unit could be placed by a USB cable length limitation.
No that will not be possible, however you can link two units together over the existing expander bus with a range of 50 meters if I remember correctly which seems ample for most use cases.
Seems an expensive “work around” ☹️
Sorry, I tend to do that too often. I consider what could be done, and fail too often to think about the implications like cost. I apologize if it came across as gauche or spammy. In this case the only reason the port exists is that we offer expanders, and that is the port they use. It's not an actual ethernet port internally, so the only connection that can be made via that port is to another unit, either MRCC (expensive) or Remote7 expander (not so much expensive).
Is it possible that the expander could be used to connect to USB host computer and run the Ethernet from it to the rack where the MRCC exists?
(04-16-2023, 02:05 AM)custa1200 Wrote: Is it possible that the expander could be used to connect to USB host computer and run the Ethernet from it to the rack where the MRCC exists?

A Remote 7 expander can't connect to the PC, an MRCC has to do that; however, 2 MRCCs can be daisy chained, USB from PC to one MRCC, then ethernet cable to a second one or an expander, which would give a lot more distance.  Also, if the distances aren't too extreme, you can run a length from the PC to a USB hub, and from there to the USB of the MRCC, to double the max cable length for the USB run.
Looks like people suggest max length for USB 2 cable is 5 metres. Do people have any experience with cables this long with the MRCC? 5 metres would actually be definitely long enough.
A certified cable's (by USB.org) max length is dependent on the connectors ...
"The cable assembly length shall be measured from the end of one connector to the end of the other connector. Cable assemblies with Standard-series plugs at both ends are limited to 5m. Cables assemblies with a Mini-B plug and Standard-A plug are limited to 4.5m. Cable assemblies with any Micro-series plugs are limited to 2m. The Standard A receptacle to Micro-A plug adapters are limited to 150mm. "

So 5m are really the max for USB A (flat rectangle) and USB B the squarer(ish) one. "Standard-series plugs"
I have two USB A to USB B cables (uncertain if they are certified) and both have proved to be unreliable.
USB extension cables are worse.

Hope this helps