Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shift Five Rabbit Hole
Stepped on a bit of a land mine while learning the NDLR interface ... (I'm using the encoder numbering from the Quick Start Guide):
  • Shift + Menu
  • Pattern Editor (press encoder #6)
  • Menu 5 (press encoder #8)

... gives me:

("Shift + Menu MENU 5: Under Construction!")

No problem ... except ...

Once I do this, I seem to be "stuck" in Shift Mode somehow. Whenever I go back to the Rhythm Editor, even after exiting and doing other stuff, and even when I click encoder #8 without holding Shift, I get the same "Shift + Menu ..." message as shown above. Shift seems to be "stuck" on ...

Maybe there IS nothing on the unshifted encoder 5, and it just happens to be showing the same "Shift + Menu ..." message?

I'm on firmware v1.1.079. Any assistance appreciated ...
Your description isn't entirely clear to me, but I'll give it a stab. Once you press the "Shift+Menu" pair, you are always in the "Shift+Menu" mode until you get out of it by pressing "Menu." What's not clear to me is when you write:

"Whenever I go back to the Rhythm Editor, even after exiting and doing other stuff, and even when I click encoder #8 without holding Shift, I get the same "Shift + Menu ..." message as shown above."

What do you mean by "even after exiting and doing other stuff"? By exiting, are you saying you exit the Rhythm Editor by pressing "Menu" and are back to the normal display where you are doing other stuff? And at that time (when the normal Pad or Drone or Motifs display is shown) you press encoder 8 and you jump to the "Shift+Menu" display of Menu 5? If so, that is indeed odd, and I am of no help to you. Pressing encoder 8 in the normal Pad/Drone/Motifs display should merely change the effect of the control from Accent, Rhythm, or Offset.

Normally, press "Shift+Menu" to enter the "Shift+Menu" mode and bounce around to all the "Shift+Menu" controls by merely pressing the encoder desired. Exit the "Shift+Menu" mode by pressing "Menu" again.
Thanks for helping with this, Kris.

> What do you mean by "even after exiting and doing other stuff"?

I mean exiting the Rhythm Editor by pressing [Menu]. Everything is normal when I am out of the Rhythm Editor. But when I get back into the Rhythm Editor (Shift + Menu) and then click Encoder 8, even unshifted, I get the "Shift + Menu MENU 5: Under Construction!" message.

I am now thinking that:
  • both [Encoder8] and [Shift + Encoder8] are not implemented in the Pattern/Rhythm Editor (Shift + Menu) mode.
  • Likewise  [Encoder7] and [Shift + Encoder7] and  [Encoder3] and [Shift + Encoder3] are not implemented in the Pattern/Rhythm Editor (Shift + Menu) mode.
  • There are only 3 messages for each of these 6 actions - and they all refer to "Shift + ..."

It is the last point that was confusing me. I was thinking that my Shift key was somehow "stuck on" and I could not access the unshifted encoder press. I did not know what the unshifted encoder press did, but I had the impression I could not get to that unshifted action ...

So ... in  (Shift + Menu) I'm guessing  [Encoder8], [Encoder7], and [Encoder3] are unimplemented and for future development?
Seems like you're getting it. One thing though, there is no "Shift + Encoder7" operation. You either get into Menu mode by pressing "Menu" or Shift+Menu mode by pressing "Shift+Menu." Once in either mode, you can merely press the encoders to enable their functions at will. Related to that, "Shift+Menu" is not limited to Pattern/Rhythm mode. There are more features at the Shift+Menu level. Most notably, the Midi Cntlr (Encoder4). I use this tons during a performance.

Oh, and, "future development" translates to: never gonna happen.
Hey Clint,
To add to what Kris is saying:
* There are 2 menu structures in the NDLR (three if you add the boot menu accessed by pressing and holding [Shift + Menu] while powering the device).

* The main menu is accessed by pressing menu. Once you are in this menu the encoder buttons select the pages of the menu you wish to edit. The functionality of these menu pages is listed next to the encoders towards the edge of the device (to the outside of the device,) in white silkscreen on black. The way to exit this menu and return to the Main NDLR interface is to press Menu again.

* The Shift Menu is accessed by pressing [Shift + Menu]. Once you are in this menu the encoder buttons select the menu you wish to edit. The functionality of these menus is listed next to the encoders towards the edge of the device as well, however these labels are printed white on silver. The way to exit this menu and return to the Main NDLR interface is to press Menu again. There were only 4 Shift Menu pages which were initially intended for the device and those are labeled on the device on encoder 1, 4, 5, and 6. The other pages have been labeled under construction simply as a way to indicate they are placeholders for potential expansion. The Page you have found labeled Menu 5 is encoder 8, which is confusing, but initially there were 5 undeveloped Shift Menu pages, (the Chord Seq was literally under construction). We have since added an easter-egg Rotator mode on encoder 2 (there is more info on that in the forum). There is a 3rd mode that is close to ready to release now which adds functionality comparable to the Misha interval sequencer. We hope to get that released soon. We don't have any further modes planned as far as I know, but these pages will continue to remain populated with placeholders so that if we do decide to add something, there is a menu location available for it. As for the banner at the top of the page that says Shift+Menu, that is there to tell you that you are currently in that menu, it's not an instruction.

Sorry for the confusion and you can reach out to me directly via the Support@conductivelabs.com email if you hit any further confusion.
Jesse