Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two computers at once. MIDI Connections: MRCC, SSP, & Ableton. USB how to do so?
Problem: How to connect the SSP & my MacBook Pro to the MRCC via USB for MIDI purposes? Basically, 2 computers at once for MIDI.

[Image: MRCC-box-clip.jpg]

As can be seen in the above photo, there are 4 HOST USB ports and 1 DEVICE USB port.

The SSP has:

[Image: 30af85ecd677fde1ce886d7d8a862a42e2c95e85.png]

(2)
1 high speed USB host port (leftmost port) with USB ethernet adapter support. (see below for the wiki update)
1 full speed USB host port (middle port) with USB MIDI keyboard support.
(3)
1 USB device port (rightmost port) with USB Audio Class 2.0 support (supports recording into your Mac/PC).

When I play out live, I won't have Ableton/laptop with me. However, in the studio, I'd like both the SSP and the laptop connected, for MIDI, at the same time.
I do not want Ableton to route MIDI to the SSP in the studio as I want to create a single master preset for both studio and live use wherein I can just leave the laptop at home and head out with the SSP and not be forced into establishing 2 workflows.

I'd like to use the SSP's USB port 3 (the DEVICE port) for audio I/O to the laptop when in the studio.

Is there a way to connect the SSP and the laptop to the MRCC, via USB only?
I don't want another USB to DIN device in the chain, if possible.

I only use my MachineDrum (on MRCC port 2 [DIN])  and Ableton as clock masters.
I do use 2 different MIDI controllers with this system but neither generate clock.

[According to this Technobear wiki, both the left and middle USB port of the SSP can be used for networking. I'm not sure if that allows for extra flexibility in solving my quandry.](https://github.com/TheTechnobear/SSP/wik...ort-usages)
Putting it in here just in case it is useful.

Any ideas as to how to connect both the SSP and the MacBook Pro to the MRCC via USB only?

Thanks!
So if I understand correctly, you wish to send MIDI to the SSP via USB into the SSP's host port and to and from the Laptop via the MRCC PC port? It may be possible with a DIN to usb device, but those things aren't always compatible with every device, (and they are hit and miss with some things like SysEx) so you may end up buying a few before you find one that works.

There would be no way to use the USB device port on the SSP with the MRCC that would allow for passing audio, and in my experience it's primarily devices with multiple USB roles that tend to fail to enumerate on the MRCC in general so it would require some experimentation to see if that port is even compatible with the MRCC at all.

The MRCC doesn't support any ethernet MIDI so that's going to be a dead end for us.
(03-28-2023, 07:18 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: So if I understand correctly, you wish to send MIDI to the SSP via USB into the SSP's host port and to and from the Laptop via the MRCC PC port? 
The MRCC doesn't support any ethernet MIDI so that's going to be a dead end for us.

Jesse, thank you for the clear answers. You summarized it well and understood everything; although I don't really care how the SSP and the laptop would connect over USB; although keeping the SSP's device port free would allow for greater power (see below).
I truly didn't wish to buy/install yet another ancillary device; in this case, an additional USB to DIN device.

Would it make sense to buy a 2nd MRCC and connect it to the one that I currently own? As per this thread, would I be able to configure the 2nd MRCC for the primarily live use that I intend, and then also connect it to the MRCC that shall remain in the studio? 
For live gigs, I could then just disconnect the newer, 2nd, MRCC from the studio rig and head out. I was planning on buying a 2nd one for live use so that I don't have to keep disconnecting all of the MIDI stuff in my studio in order to take my single MRCC with me. I could just connect my live gear to one MRCC and call the one my 'live rig' and then connect that to the studio rig via CAT6a.

It seems that this would work perfectly well. I could also connect the SSP to the laptop, via the SSP's device port, for the audio I/O on the SSP. 

Seems like 2xMRCCs solves this, no? 

Jesse, if you could confirm, then I'll place my order tout de suite.
Let me see if have this right still:
You want to connect the SSP host port to the Device port on MRCC1 then connect MRCC1 to MRCC2 and connect MRCC2 to the Laptop via the Device port? This should work in theory, but routing becomes more complex when you add the second unit, and I still can't say for sure how the SSP will do hosting the MRCC as a Device, as it has 12 ins and outs. Connecting the 2 MRCCs is pretty straight forward, and just uses a Shielded Ethernet cable to connect them. Another consideration is that port naming doesn't work between 2 Units. I can't remember what needs to happen when reconnecting, i.e., do you need to power cycle the units to make the connections reappear etc., but if that doesn't seem daunting, I think what you describe should work.

Sorry if I have it the wrong way round, if that is the case let me know so I can confirm the plan before you pull the trigger. I'd hate to send you off to get something you can't use.
Jesse
It sounds like you already have one MRCC. If so, test whether your SSP can handle the 12 virtual ports coming from the MRCC's device port, or at least work adequately for your needs before getting a second one. Disclaimer: I had never heard of the SSP before, and only half understand your objectives, so this is just a thought. I do have 2 MRCCs, though, and they integrate nicely together.

Without adding every little device, I've sketched up the above.

(03-29-2023, 12:25 PM)Dark Waves Wrote: It sounds like you already have one MRCC.  If so, test whether your SSP can handle the 12 virtual ports coming from the MRCC's device port, or at least work adequately for your needs before getting a second one.  Disclaimer: I had never heard of the SSP before, and only half understand your objectives, so this is just a thought.  I do have 2 MRCCs, though, and they integrate nicely together.

Yes, I tested the SSP with the device port on the MRCC. It works great.

I went about ordering a 2nd MRCC from Thomann as they are finally on stock. I'll report back when I get everything set up. Although more expensive than I'd wanted, it will hopefully make for less hassle with all of cabling when taking the core pieces out for live gigs. 

Thanks for the feedback and information.
I'm impressed that something like the SSP can work with an MRCC.  Do you already have the ethernet splitter?  There was some talk on here a while back from the company about making one that would be wired correctly.  The ones I found online seem of dubious quality, but I haven't pursued it much because I don't yet need to hook up my Remote 7..  Anyway, as an example, this is the ethernet cable I got for my MRCCs: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1...gless.html and it works well.  Good luck with your setup.
(03-30-2023, 03:39 PM)Dark Waves Wrote: I'm impressed that something like the SSP can work with an MRCC.  Do you already have the ethernet splitter?  There was some talk on here a while back from the company about making one that would be wired correctly.  The ones I found online seem of dubious quality, but I haven't pursued it much because I don't yet need to hook up my Remote 7..  Anyway, as an example, this is the ethernet cable I got for my MRCCs: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1...gless.html and it works well.  Good luck with your setup.

Yes, it is basically a Linux computer with Class Compliant drivers. It works instantly and without fuss of any sort.

I received the splitters yesterday and modified one of them. Piece of cake. Just waiting upon the 2nd MRCC.