Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roland TB-3 over USB causing sync/playback issues
Hello! My Roland TB-3 is set up to accept incoming clock messages via MIDI. When I connect the TB-3 with 5-pin DIN cables, there is no problem at all - the internal sequencer on the TB-3 syncs perfectly with the incoming clock (which, if it helps to know, is a Roland TR-8S connected to the MIDI IN section of the MRCC.

However, when I attempt to connect the TB-3 to the MRCC via USB, I get weird playback/sync issues. The sequence does play, but the playback seems to stutter -- the sequence doesn't play back right away (instead, it starts on the second 16th note), the first note will be held for a while, then the next few notes will play back in rapid succession... Like I say, weird.

Here's the setup that's giving me problems:

- Roland TR-8S (as clock source) connected to MIDI IN #1
- Roland TB-3 connected via USB to MIDI IN/OUT D, with the 'out' (aka blue) light selected - I have not clicked the in/green light

As far as I can tell from reading the TB-3 manual, the device has no problem receiving MIDI clock messages over USB.

If someone can help me, it would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Something to check (I don't have that gear, so just guessing based on other experiences) is if the receiving device can select more than one MIDI source at the same time, so that 2 clocks streams are coming in; if not, and if both inputs are "listening" for data, make sure the original route on the MRCC, from DIN to DIN, is unrouted, or alternatively try unplugging the DIN cable from the TB-3 input to see if that changes anything.  Also, check for MIDI loops somewhere affecting any devices in the routing scheme.  The MRCC shouldn't treat the USB connections any differently to DIN in how signals are routed.
Thanks for the help. I don't have anything else plugged in other than what I mentioned above.

I think I figured it out, by the way. I went into the settings and disabled the note messages for port D -- it now works just fine and is perfectly synced. I'm still a bit unsure as to how it was caused though - the TR-8S isn't sending any note messages over MIDI (or none that I know of anyway), so I'm not sure why the TB-3 was behaving as though it was getting two note messages (one from the internal sequencer and another from... somewhere?).

In any case, it seems as though all is well. Thanks again for your help!