Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NO Boot, NO Lights. Linux
Hey all!

The last 24 hours have been "interesting", and this forum has been super helpful in not letting it go much past that! I needed sleep!

I've had my MRCC for a while, never thought about updating it, then I did think about updating it. That was about 24 hours ago. Smile 

When I started down the update road, at some point I hit the FW button, like you're supposed to. Well, the NORMAL action would have happened, buuuut - I'm on Linux. The next few hours were fueled by "Nah, it couldn't be Linux mucking the box!".

The symptom was like others had said, no lights, (quick flicker of the PC light on power up), no response, everything's hosed, where'd I put that chicken, G-D! Cables, ports, hubs, USB 2 ports, adapters, with/without the PC host cable in...

Grabbed an old Windows laptop... Well, that was easy,.

So, to the other discussions here, I wanted to add:
  • The cheaper the WINDOWS laptop the better
  • YES it could be Linux (not specifically, but..) ***
  • YES it could be the hub/switch
  • YES it could be the cable
I've been doing this stuff a LONG LONG time... I still don't think it's the cable. (or any of that other stuff)

Notes:
- The totally dead look is actually OK. That's the processor sitting locked in FLASH (update) mode. It's not gonna do much else until it sees something like Teenzy (bootstrap/firmware loader) talk to it. A power cycle or 'power with button' combos won't help. Including factory reset) It was never explicitly said in the other discussions, but IT IS NOT DEAD. It just needs a flash.

- *** Regarding Linux - I did try Wine, and a Windows VM, and native Linux flash tools... The issue here is actually a feature. Linux works hard to keep all devices happy, and that includes multiple apps trying to jam on a single-threaded port (like, MIDI). The problem comes in with an app like Teenzy who wants to own the whole device, way down deep in the driver stack. That's not a happy place for other apps, and things will start hanging because the guy that now OWNs the port (MIDI port) isn't playing by the rules. As such, Teenzy never hears the broadcast from the MRCC saying that its ready for a firmware blast, so things just don't work. And, finding yourself at this point at 3am isn't fun. It took me a bit to cave and use a native Windows laptop.

Hope that helps someone! Like I say, the other threads here on this didn't quite spell out a couple of things. That was the 1a-3a slot. lol
- mark. analog rulez. modular rulez the rulez. 
Oh how harrowing, I'm sorry you had such a rough go of it with the update process. We really appreciate that you were kind enough to come and report back on your findings for future users, hopefully someone who needs to see this will find it next time, and I'll see if I can get Darryl to put a caveat on the update page.

Jesse
(08-28-2023, 02:38 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Oh how harrowing, I'm sorry...

Ehh, it was a thing, it's not a thing anymore! Smile I do try to share experiences like that, I've been around a long time, I've certainly learned from others!
I can vouch the he's been around a long time.    Lol

He's also got a lot of experience with a lot of hardware and definitely not a newbie.
(08-31-2023, 07:14 PM)oldgearguy Wrote: I can vouch the he's been around a long time.    Lol

He's also got a lot of experience with a lot of hardware and definitely not a newbie.

I love to LAUGH! ** THANK YOU **

Dood... I saw you slithering around here! WAZZUP?! lol

(I have to say, that I haven't been on a phpBB forum for a LONG time. I think it's been 5+ years easy since saying anything on Wiggler. This has been interesting to readjust to!)
The old guard has to take care of its own. 

I randomly check FB and see you there. 

Most of my time has been spent on a few forums,  just helping out when I can. 

I've typed and deleted a couple paragraphs about the state of things.   Probably best to comment in PMs.

Tom
This caught me out today.. Thought I had killed my MRCC, it looked DEAD.