Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MRCC used through a USB hub?
I just ordered an MRCC and my plan is to use it with an iPad Pro as my central "control plane" for everything audio and MIDI. I will have all my synths' MIDI going through the MRCC and all my synths' audio going through a Scarlett interface. Both of the Scarlett and MRCC will be plugged in to a USB hub and I will be using AUM to manage everything on the iPad.

After ordering everything, I got a horrible feeling when I realized I wasn't sure if the MRCC will work correctly when not plugged directly into my iPad but through a USB hub (using an Anker hub if it matters). Will I run into any issues? I ask because I've had issues in the past controlling USB of MIDI devices if they were going through a USB hub.

To be clear, I am not trying to use the MRCC *as* a hub, I want to connect it to my iPad *through* a USB hub. I wanted to call this out as I saw some other people asking about using the MRCC as a hub.

Thanks in advance!
A USB hub is not a problem.  I have 2 MRCCs plugged into two different TP-Link hubs, then to a PC.  You should be aware that there is not any kind of remote control of the MRCC from other devices (computers, etc.) as all physical routing is done on the front panel (there are a number of threads touching on this subject).  However, there will be port assignments made in your software, since there are 24 virtual MIDI connections (12 in each direction) between MRCC and computer over the single USB connection, and you'll need to assign which ones match with which devices your DAW, for example, needs as connections., which can be from 1 to 24 depending on your requirements,   Having a quality hub in between has not affected the performance in my setup.
(10-14-2022, 08:23 PM)Dark Waves Wrote: A USB hub is not a problem.  I have 2 MRCCs plugged into two different TP-Link hubs, then to a PC.  You should be aware that there is not any kind of remote control of the MRCC from other devices (computers, etc.) as all physical routing is done on the front panel (there are a number of threads touching on this subject).  However, there will be port assignments made in your software, since there are 24 virtual MIDI connections (12 in each direction) between MRCC and computer over the single USB connection, and you'll need to assign which ones match with which devices your DAW, for example, needs as connections., which can be from 1 to 24 depending on your requirements,   Having a quality hub in between has not affected the performance in my setup.

Thanks so much! This is obviously welcome news. I am aware I'll need to use the front panel to do routing which is fine with me. Excited for this to show up!
(10-14-2022, 08:45 PM)toddk Wrote:
(10-14-2022, 08:23 PM)Dark Waves Wrote: A USB hub is not a problem.  I have 2 MRCCs plugged into two different TP-Link hubs, then to a PC.  You should be aware that there is not any kind of remote control of the MRCC from other devices (computers, etc.) as all physical routing is done on the front panel (there are a number of threads touching on this subject).  However, there will be port assignments made in your software, since there are 24 virtual MIDI connections (12 in each direction) between MRCC and computer over the single USB connection, and you'll need to assign which ones match with which devices your DAW, for example, needs as connections., which can be from 1 to 24 depending on your requirements,   Having a quality hub in between has not affected the performance in my setup.

Thanks so much! This is obviously welcome news. I am aware I'll need to use the front panel to do routing which is fine with me. Excited for this to show up!

Did the device arrive? if so, how has your experience been with the iPad? iPad is a big part of my set up alongside some hardware I have. Trying to do my research before making this investment. Thank you.
Good timing on your question as I just finished setting everything up in its final state and it works GREAT with the iPad. If you haven’t already looked at AUM you should. The MRCC ports show right up in the routing matrix in there and it works brilliantly.
(11-09-2022, 07:19 PM)toddk Wrote: Good timing on your question as I just finished setting everything up in its final state and it works GREAT with the iPad. If you haven’t already looked at AUM you should. The MRCC ports show right up in the routing matrix in there and it works brilliantly.

Thank you so much. Yes, big fan of AUM. Greatly appreciate your feedback.