Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recording (Exporting) Midi
How are you guys exporting or recording the midi from the NDLR to your DAW of choice?

I've tried a couple different ways, to no avail. I'm using Studio One and couldn't get it to work.

I'd like to be able to discretely record the midi of each part to its own midi channel. Everything

would have to be in sync, of course. Studio One needs to be sending out sync, it won't work as

the slave, (too bad) unless you sync to midi timecode which the NDLR doesn't support. 

I also tried it with my mpc1000. Although, it seemed to handle one channel

of midi recording fine, it can't record all channels at once, which is less than optimal.

From what I understand, the squarp pyramid can multitrack midi, but that seems like a bit much.

Has anyone here gone down this particular rabbit hole?
If you need Studio One to be the master, the NDLR can be set to external MIDI Clock in the settings menu. It seems to me like that should work, if not let me know what happens and I can try and help out.
I don't have a solution/suggestion, but curious about the OP. I have the same desire (to multitrack the midi), but haven't tried (liking the dawless setup, hw synths, currently). Anyone else doing that?
I have mrcc; can i log from PC port this way? Any obvious issues/gotchas to look out for?
Well you should be able to send MIDI from the USB connection on the NDLR to a DAW easily and there are options on the NDLR for MIDI channels to be sent out to ALL ports for each part, so that you could still send to the DAW and the DIN ports could be sending to the HW synths in your setup at the same time. I can set Ableton up to send clock to the NDLR in the MIDI config menu by enabling the sync option for the NDLR port I am using for clock master.

I set each of the Parts to a different channel and set up MIDI tracks in Ableton for each of these parts, I think there is a setting in Ableton for record arming multiple tracks, and if I'm remembering correctly you need to right click on a record button to bring up a context menu to get to it. Once they're all armed pressing pressing record in ableton should start the tracks playing and you should be capturing MIDI on channels that are currently armed.