Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transpose - more than an octave
Is there any technical reason why the Transpose is limited to +/- 12?

In the interests of efficiency (laziness) it would be great if I could use one MOD and have 2 or more octaves of transpose.
Part of the reason is this (bear with me) - the MIDI standard says middle C is raw number 60.  What it does NOT say is whether 60 is C3, C4, or C5.

It depends of course on whether the device starts numbering octaves from C0, C -1, or C- 2.
I have one sequencer that uses a default note value of C3.  Most of the synths it talks to sound better when it's set to C5.  If I could drop a 2 octave transpose on the MRCC for that route, I can make small tweaks on the sequencer without having to go into every step of every track and adjust it up 2 octaves.

I also have a special case where I need between 51 and 58 semitones of transpose and I hate using up most of the MOD slots just transposing.
+1 for this.
I don't think there's any concrete reason that it's limited to +- 12, however originally it was going to be +- 6 and I pushed really hard to get a full octave in either direction. I will ask if Steve will consider adding to the possible range.
It's also been useful for talking to drum machines from different companies. The octave used for triggering typically jumps around a bit. Being able to set up routes from the same sequencer using the same notes and having the MRCC transpose as necessary means one less thing to think about or debug in the middle of a session