Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back up presets and settings via SYSEX/USB
I always like to know that any preset work I do on any hardware device can be saved somehow, just like backing up data on a computer. I'm aware that the MRCC saves data to an internal SD card and that I can back up the contents of the MRCC by unscrewing a side panel and removing the card, but that's complicated and tricky given my setup.

I have the MRCC connected to two hardware keyboards and four additional synth modules, plus two chains of MIDI-controlled effects pedals, plus 4 inputs from hardware keyboards and a hardware sequencer, plus power for two USB devices. The MRCC is mounted on a guitar pedalboard and is (intended to be) permanently connected to the devices on the pedalboard. Detatching it and disconnecting some of the cables to get at the SD card is a fair bit of trouble. It'd be so much nicer to use a MIDI port or the PC port to send data to a PC, whether via Sysex or otherwise, than to have to unscrew my hardware to back up the data.
Too bad they can't cut a slot in the side panel and reconfigure the SD card holder so that you could get to the card from the slot like other gear that uses SD cards.
I was just thinking of getting some end cheeks 3d printed and if I get around to it, I'll add a finger port for pulling the SD card. I wanted one as well.
(07-27-2022, 02:28 PM)mjchase Wrote: I always like to know that any preset work I do on any hardware device can be saved somehow, just like backing up data on a computer. I'm aware that the MRCC saves data to an internal SD card and that I can back up the contents of the MRCC by unscrewing a side panel and removing the card, but that's complicated and tricky given my setup.

I have the MRCC connected to two hardware keyboards and four additional synth modules, plus two chains of MIDI-controlled effects pedals, plus 4 inputs from hardware keyboards and a hardware sequencer, plus power for two USB devices. The MRCC is mounted on a guitar pedalboard and is (intended to be) permanently connected to the devices on the pedalboard. Detatching it and disconnecting some of the cables to get at the SD card is a fair bit of trouble. It'd be so much nicer to use a MIDI port or the PC port to send data to a PC, whether via Sysex or otherwise, than to have to unscrew my hardware to back up the data.

yes please!
I've thought about making an end cheek with a milled hole for easy removal and replacement of the SD card. It would have to be big enough to get a fingertip in there though, since the SD isn't spring loaded. I don't think SysEx backups is in the cards at the moment. I got the impression when I last brought it up that it wouldn't be possible, but I forget why. I'll ask again and see if I can illuminate the issue.
Big Grin 
(12-15-2022, 08:15 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: I've thought about making an end cheek with a milled hole for easy removal and replacement of the SD card. It would have to be big enough to get a fingertip in there though, since the SD isn't spring loaded. 

You can get a Micro SD Card Extension Cable, then you don't need to get a fingertip in, which means anyone with a dremel or a drill and a file can make this work, as you only need a small slot in the end cheek.  Extensions cables come in various configurations, so you should find one that works in your situation. You could e.g. velcro the socket to the bottom of the MRCC.