Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issues with drone not triggering when pad is playing
Hello- I'm a fairly new NDLR user, and I've run into a frustrating issue.

The Drone does not trigger if the pad is also playing. I am using the USB outs assigned like this:

1USB1- Pad (plus 2,3,4 for polychain) feeding Deepmind12 (polychained with minilogue and hydrasynth)
1USB2- drone- 1010 Lemondrop
1USB3- motif 1- unused
1USB4- motif 2- unused
Chord changes are coming in on USB1 channel 16.

I built the pad parts, and everything is working fine.

I stopped the pads, and then started the drone to work out the part. The drone is set to trigger on chord changes (4 dots no filled boxes). Everything works fine.

However, as soon as I start the pad also, the drone stops triggering. I viewed the incoming midi logs (in MPC, which is handling all midi routing), and when the pad is playing, I see no incoming midi for the drone. I did test the motif parts, and they seem to be working fine, allowing the drone to trigger correctly. It's only the pad that causes the issue.

I have tested this with the 5pin DIN out as well, and the behavior is exactly the same...

One other important note- this is a computer free configuration, so I can't really do away with the MPC.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Have you tried fiddling with the MPC midi _track_ input settings? I had some head scratching with the settings when I finally had the time to configure MPC live controlling The NDLR, back to MPC and out to synths.

The new 2.11 firmware of the MPC seems to have some kind of MIDI note bugs, could that be the reason for your notes not playing? Haven't installed it yet because of the bugs discussed in mpc-forums.com

MPC + The NDLR is such a wonderful combination!
I have played with them a bit, but I don’t think that’s the problem, as I have all the parts sending/receiving individually. I’ve even posted some jams with this setup on my YouTube. The only time the drone won’t play is if the pad is playing too. If I have all 4 parts playing, the drone doesn’t work but if I stop the pad the drone starts right up. I may try to do a factory reset of the Ndlr later to see if that helps. Thanks!
False alarm perhaps. I did a bunch of testing today, and when pulling the MPC out and running midi cables, everything works.

I then tested running the ndlr parts to separate channels on a single midi out into the MPC, and that didn't work at all!

At this point, I downgraded the MPC from 2.11.2 to 2.10.1, and everything works as expected. I'll report it as a (particularly nasty) bug to Akai. Sorry to waste anyone's time!
(07-09-2022, 02:30 PM)jlopatin Wrote: False alarm perhaps. I did a bunch of testing today, and when pulling the MPC out and running midi cables, everything works.

I then tested running the ndlr parts to separate channels on a single midi out into the MPC, and that didn't work at all!

At this point, I downgraded the MPC from 2.11.2 to 2.10.1, and everything works as expected. I'll report it as a (particularly nasty) bug to Akai. Sorry to waste anyone's time!

Not a waste of time, this kind of troubleshooting will hopefully help someone with similar issue!
I’m having a very similar issue except it’s motif 1 that kills the note length of my pad as soon as I play it. Routing all 4 parts through an MPC One, veteran of the NDLR and all things MIDI but this has me stumped.