Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help: Midi mapping to 8 channels
oldgearguy
I think............. got things setup and running using the PolyendSEQuencer. Used the CPL-1 structure for me personal, this way setting up and workflow is fully and totally unlogical, but its seem to work.Channel ON/OFF switches are working, re-route some channels is working.
Only thing i need find out is control the drum synth, this is not high priority becaus i hear the drums but not able to control seperate drum like tom, Hihat etc etc. Only ON / OFF the drums.

Next think to try,  is setup using the OXIone Sequencer with using all 8x  MIDI channels

Thank you for support and patience with this old men.
Kind regards
Yes, any multitimbral machine (drum synth, sampler, etc) will only play one channel using CP-1 MOD.

The MRCC needs some improvements to handle multitrack sequencers like the OXI or KeyStep Pro to make them work nicely with multitimbral modules.

What I do now is allow multiple MIDI channels to be sent to most devices and set them up to ignore everything except one particular channel, which is not the best solution, but it works.
Tom I think the way Bert is wanting this set up he only wants to have one device on each output and each of those will be monotimbral, unless I missed something.

In one of the diagrams he sent me he wanted to send channel 1 of his keystep pro to all devices which necessitated my suggestion to him of using the C-P1 Mod on all ports and setting all devices to listen on channel 1.

That way he could route ch 1 of keystep to all ports, and they'll get it, and then sending to channel 1-4 (or however high he needs), will be heard on the port that matches that channel and be rerouted to ch1.

It turns out that was an error on his part and he simply wants all devices channels to match port numbers and he will be sending out on ch 1-4 (or higher). In that case, I suggested that simply routing from each source port to all 4 ports will achieve his goals as long as each device is set to listen only on it's port matching channel. It wont matter if we send channels 1-4 to a device listening on 3, because channels 1,2 and 4 will just be ignored and 3 will be acted on.

He mentioned that this is what he tried first, but was unable to achieve the intended result. I am not sure what the issue was. At this point it's working and I hesitate to suggest changing anything.

From my email response for reference:

Quote:The only reason to use the C-P1 mod was to block MIDI from from coming through on channels you are not using, like this:

Channels 1-3 and 5-16 are blocked.
But if the device on that port is only listening to channel 4 for instance, you don't even need a Mod on the channel at all, you can simply route the input to the output and make sure the device is listening on the right channel and it should ignore other MIDI data, like this:
See attached images

Because the synth is set to listen to channel 4, not all channels, then we don't need to filter out any channels. No mods are required. This is the same thing that happens when you use MIDI thru, the synth only listens to it's own channel, so you can send all the MIDI notes in and only the ones on the synths channel are played.

The reason that our setup had to be more complex was that you had specified that you wanted channel 1 on port 1 to go to all channels, which you mentioned was an error on your part.
This way you could make simple port to port routings for all devices for all setups and would only need c-p1 mods on ports where the synth is listening on all ports (Omni mode).

(07-13-2022, 05:00 PM)oldgearguy Wrote: Yes,  any multitimbral machine (drum synth, sampler, etc) will only play one channel using CP-1 MOD.

The MRCC needs some improvements to handle multitrack sequencers like the OXI or KeyStep Pro to make them work nicely with multitimbral modules.

What I do now is allow multiple MIDI channels to be sent to most devices and set them up to ignore everything except one particular channel,  which is not the best solution,  but it works.

You 100%  right about improvements,   i like the ON/OFF channel buttons for the in/out and this is for me the only reason buy or use MRCC and give support to this project.
But still,  the price level tag for this expensive toy, as be the price for hardware synth Smile
May i ask one more quest, please?
What settings you using and when  connecting all your gear,  as using the midi Thru setting?
How to connect/settings  for use as midi Thru?

Thank you
(07-13-2022, 05:00 PM)oldgearguy Wrote: The MRCC needs some improvements to handle multitrack sequencers like the OXI

All synth set to input channel-1 like mention when testing the settings for keystep-pro to channel-1,  seem to work out.
Using the OXI one,   set MRCC  back in factory settings
(07-02-2022, 07:14 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: If you want to set... 

18 months down the road, thank you for this! The manual wasn't too clear on this magic. ?
- mark. analog rulez. modular rulez the rulez. 
(02-01-2024, 11:51 PM)midiwall Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 07:14 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: If you want to set... 

18 months down the road, thank you for this! The manual wasn't too clear on this magic. ?

I've worked with this feature a bit now, and have it working like I hoped it would. And, for me, it's great. In walking through this, I found a way to see things that helped me a ton and I thought I would share. 

Basically, you're defining the relationship between each input and each output on a one->many basis. It's a smart splitter.

Setup: I have 5 MIDI input ports and 6 MIDI output ports. Two of the inputs are at a Remote 7, and one of those is a NDLR. There is one THRU (keyboard -> NDLR -> MRCC), everything else is a straight shot to the MRCC. 

Goal: I wanted to be working at any of the inputs and select any of the outputs, without sysex or any magic being sent to the MRCC.

Setup:
  1. - Select an INPUT ("1" for this example)
  2. - Select ROUTING (encoder one click CW)
  3. - These are the routings from Input 1 -> Output 1
  4. - Select an open MODIFIERS slot (white buttons)
  5. - Use encoder to select C-P1
  6. - Select next OUTPUT port (no need for any other click, just select an output)
    (after this, you'll note that the lamp on the previous port is now half intensity. This indicates that there's a modifier in play between THIS input and THAT output)
  7. - These are routings from Input 1 -> Output 2
  8. - Select an open MODIFIERS slot (white buttons)
  9. - Use encoder to select C-P1
  10. - Select next OUTPUT port
  11. - These are routings from Input 1 -> Output 3
... repeat at step 8 until done with INPUT 1 routing

Then
  1. - Select next INPUT port (say, "2")
  2. - Select ROUTING (encoder one click CW)
  3. - These are routings from Input 2 -> Output 1
... repeat until all input -> output routes are defined,

If you have a device that you want to send ALL data from any controller to it, then when you select that OUTPUT port, don't select a modifier, just select the NEXT output port. That will create a "static route" to THAT out with NO modifiers. The respective output lamp will be full intestsity.
DO NOT FORGET TO SAVE THIS SETUP!!!I did - once. lol

With this done, I can be at any of the inputs, and can select any of the synths via MIDI channel number.

And, the NDLR is SUPER happy... I can set each of the four outputs to any MIDI channel, which means that I can pick anything I want for any of the parts. lol - Hydrasynth pad, Peak motif, modular drone? okay. lol 

Hope this helps someone!

- mark
Thank you Mark, I'm glad this is working well for you, and I appreciate you sharing this walkthrough in the case it may help other users. Big thumbs up.