Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Usb midi issue with Shuttle Control from Endorphin.es
Hello peeps

I just got a shuttle control module from endorphines.

When I connect it to usb from mrcc, everything works (gate, midi cc’s etc) except for pitch

I’ve tried filtering everything other than notes but the pitch still doesn’t translate correctly. It just plays a really low pitch regardless of what pitch is actually being sent. 

If I plug the usb straight from my push3 S.A or computer to the shuttle control everything works as it should

Are there any settings I could try on the MRCC to get this working properly?

Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike,
I'll try and give you a hand with this, however it will be important to know a couple more pieces of information first:
1. what is the path of the MIDI that works vs not works (for example WORKS: MIDI in from Keystep Pro, to MRCC Port A out Port D to Shuttle Control out via CV to Whatever Oscillator) the more info I have to understand what could be at play here the better.
2. When you say the notes are playing really low I will need to know if the pitch is just lower but notes still play in tune to each other, or if the output is just some random low note all the time. Like if you tune the oscillator up 3 octaves would it play the right notes?
(09-06-2023, 10:04 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Hi Mike,
I'll try and give you a hand with this, however it will be important to know a couple more pieces of information first:
1. what is the path of the MIDI that works vs not works (for example WORKS: MIDI in from Keystep Pro, to MRCC Port A out Port D to Shuttle Control out via CV to Whatever Oscillator) the more info I have to understand what could be at play here the better.
2. When you say the notes are playing really low I will need to know if the pitch is just lower but notes still play in tune to each other, or if the output is just some random low note all the time. Like if you tune the oscillator up 3 octaves would it play the right notes?

Hi Jesse.

So I have my Push connected to MRCC via usb (From Push USB-A port into MRCC USB-B / PC port)
I have various synths connected via 5-Pin midi with the routing from PC-1 to output ports 1-6 (this all works perfectly)

My Shuttle System is routed from USB-A on the MRCC to the USB-B port on the Shuttle Control with PC-1 routed to USB-A out
The Shuttle Control module converts midi to cv. The midi cc messages I've mapped work, clock works, the gate signals work sometimes but are not consistent, and the 1v/oct just plays a really low note which doesn't correlate to whats being sent, regardless of the pitch of the oscillators. Even if I play the highest note on Push it's still the same as any other pitch being played
I've tried filtering everything other that notes but have the same issue. Also tried using PC port 2 but same thing

What does work
If I route the midi from Push to MRCC via trs cable.
Connect Shuttle System from USB-B / PC port on MRCC to Shuttle System's USB-A port
Make a routing on MRCC from Input 6 (trs-a) to Output PC-1
Everything works as expected

Also if I plug the Shuttle System in directly to Push via USB (Push USB-A to Shuttle USB-B) everything works

I'd really love to get the shuttle system working from a USB type A port from the MRCC so I can use the PC port on the MRCC for push. (Then I can use MPE from push to hardware synths using different virtual PC ports)

I've attached a photo in case this doesn't make any sense!

Cheers
Mike

Any news/thoughts on this Jesse?
Hey Acnorytm, I apologize for not seeing your followup, the forum only shows me new posts once, then if I reload or go away then come back they disappear and there's no way to show all posts sorted by date. Sorry for that. If you ever need to be sure to reach me you can send me an email to Support@conductivelabs.com, I always see those.

In this case I think the issue is that either the Push3 or Shuttle system USB isn't fully compatible with our USB host ports. It sounds like a really strange one too, as usually things just don't work when this is the case, but to "sort of work" for "some things" is truly unusual. If we had one in the lab there is a chance we could use the USB sniffer to take a look under the hood, but we don't currently have access to one, and even then it usually requires that we convince the developer to make some change to the device code, which often doesn't happen. At the moment we are doing our best to keep track of these compatibility issues in a spreadsheet that we host so that people can at least get an idea of what will or will not work before purchasing. I'll post that link below. It sounds like at least there is a method that works for you, that's a relief.

It would be interesting to check where the issue is, and there may be a way. If you were to load an initialized patch on the MRCC and connect both devices via host ports, then route the Push to the Shuttle Control, and open the MIDI Monitor utility on the MRCC, you could see if the Notes are being received correctly by playing middle C and looking for note on / off events for MIDI note 60. If it says MIDI note 0 or something then we know that the Push is (likely) the device that is incompatible, if not then it's (likely) the Shuttle Control. 

Here's that link:
https://conductivelabs.com/mrcc-usb-host...y-tracker/