Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Open Source Firmware?
Hi all,

Having been a software developer for more years than I care to mention, I find myself wanting to tweak the MRCC firmware (and NDLR too), and potentially submit bug fixes and improvements.

I realize it's a bit of an unusual, niche request, but there are a lot of us software devs around, and we just can't help ourselves sometimes! It's also something that other, small manufacturers have done in the past (eg. Electra One, Norns, etc).

Not much to lose really, unless of course there are trade secrets buried in the code. Wouldn't take long to share the source via GitHub, and then approve/decline push requests from outsiders once in a while.

Just something to consider that could potentially benefit everybody.

Keep up the good work!

Many thanks,
Ben
I recently purchased an MRCC and discovered that the firmware updates indicate the device is powered by a PJRC Teensy microcontroller. As a long time programmer and someone who often works with the Teensy platform for MIDI/audio processing, I definitely want to second @benstat in requesting the MRCC source code be either open sourced or closed source with special third party developer agreements (including NDAs) to allow additional programmers to enhance features and troubleshoot firmware issues. I realize that the source code is your "secret sauce" and must be kept sacred, but given that it is built on a common microcontroller, the MRCC community could really help out the project/product. That's a big ask I know, but it's the current year and it seems kind of silly to see a microcontroller project based on the Teensy to be closed when most of the Teensy's ecosystem is open source. Any comments on opening up the source code or starting a special developer program to gain controlled access to the MRCC firmware?
I've asked Steve to consider this option in the past and he has been pretty apprehensive about the idea. I will float it past him again as I can definitely see the merit, but I also don't wish to press him to make a choice to do something he is uncomfortable with, so in the event he says "no" I will reflect that here and then lock the thread. He may like the idea of developer agreements and NDAs, I will report back.
(12-15-2023, 05:02 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: I've asked Steve to consider this option in the past and he has been pretty apprehensive about the idea. I will float it past him again as I can definitely see the merit, but I also don't wish to press him to make a choice to do something he is uncomfortable with, so in the event he says "no" I will reflect that here and then lock the thread. He may like the idea of developer agreements and NDAs, I will report back.

Jesse, thank you for letting us know what the possibilities (or possible lack of possibilities) are on this pretty sizable ask. I certainly understand Steve's apprehension since the MRCC is based on a common microcontroller and opening up the firmware completely exposes the product to competition that would simply clone the MRCC and provide no value beyond that. That's always the terrible part of developing products like this that don't contain proprietary hardware or custom silicon to make the cloner's job more difficult. I will certainly respect Steve's decision on this whichever way he may choose to go. Again, thanks for updating us on this. You rock.
Since there are some people who would to improve MRCC software, it could be great to allow them to add something (with NDA), even without make it open source. There are some devices with opened source (https://synthstrom.com/open/) and there is no worries about making a copy, but sure - every device have different business model and it's fine. But new programmers could make this device even better. Simmilar to midihub, where community create different scripts etc (it's not open source, but this device allow do macros).
In my opinion, the hardware has a lot of potential. If the software were also at the same level, then the device would be by far the best on the market.
+1 for editor!
Thank you!
/9 TUPLE