Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keyboard split to different MIDI channels
Hello! I'm getting an SP404 Mk2, and its MIDI implementation is a bit odd. Each bank on the SP404 Mk2 responds to the same 16 MIDI notes, but on a different MIDI channel. I was wondering if I could use the keyboard split feature to get access to more banks using one MIDI channel. Any ideas on how I would achieve this?

Thanks!
(06-15-2022, 10:03 AM)DJISF Wrote: Hello! I'm getting an SP404 Mk2, and its MIDI implementation is a bit odd. Each bank on the SP404 Mk2 responds to the same 16 MIDI notes, but on a different MIDI channel. I was wondering if I could use the keyboard split feature to get access to more banks using one MIDI channel. Any ideas on how I would achieve this?

Thanks!

If you limit yourself to 12 notes per bank, you can set up 3 banks this way:

1. set up 3 variations of the Channel Layer modifier that map 3 adjacent octaves from the same source channel to different destination channels, eg. #1 maps C1-B1 to ch1, #2 maps C2-B2 to ch2, #3 maps C3-B3 to ch3
  2. set up 2 Transpose Modifier variation after the Channel Layer mods, one that transposes ch1 up by 12 semitones, and another that transposes channel 3 down by 12 semitones. 

What is constraining you here is at first the maximum of 12 semitones in the Transpose modifier, if that were removed, you could have all 16 sounds in a bank. Then you'd hit the limit of 6 modifier slots per routing, because you need 2 slots per per bank (one for layer and one for transpose). 

To work around this, you can try setting up a loopback: route your input channel also to another output (DIN/TRS) and connect that out with a cable to an unused input. Maybe set up an output filter to remove clock and realtime messages, just to avoid problems later.

In the routing to the loopback: use the variation of the Transpose mod that transposes one octave down 3 times in a row. That way you transpose your input channel 3 octaves down, and you can set up new routing from you new input port to the SP4040 using the exact same configuration as the one described above, and you can address 6 banks of 12 sounds on one channel.

That workaround might mess with your timing, as it adds some latency, so it might or might not work for your usecase.

Currently there are no feature requests in the forum for more than 6 mods per routing, more than 6 variations per modifier and more than 12 semitones per transpose, maybe you want to add some?
Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll see if this is really a problem once I get the SP404 (maybe I'm fine just using one bank, or just changing channels on my controller), and if it is, I'll file the feature request.
Great suggestion, this is exactly what I would suggest. As for the request, there won't be any more than 6 slots added at this point most likely, however much I wish it.