Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Assign toggle filters the same way as we assign outputs
I'd like to be able to select one of the toggle filters, such as clock, rt, note etc the same way as I select routes. 
eg: 

1. I select a input 2
2. I navigate to the clock filter icon
3. all the filtered outputs (not just the current routing) are highlighted using the port indicator leds/buttons
4. I can toggle any output clock filtering for input 2 by selecting the button for that port. 

When I chain one controller from anouther, letting only one be the RT controller, other controllers as slaves, then I make one input port send the RT to everything (except synths with built in sequencers that I don't want to use), and then on the slave controllers i select their inputs and disable RT globably. then i need to configure clockes to send to all buit the originating device, etc.
It's a smart idea. I'll run it by the boss, but usually this kind of thing requires a lot of redesign of the device architecture and isn't something that is worth the cost, but hey what's the worst he could say? No?
Thanks for the suggestion!
Jesse
(06-16-2022, 10:02 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: It's a smart idea. I'll run it by the boss, but usually this kind of thing requires a lot of redesign of the device architecture and isn't something that is worth the cost, but hey what's the worst he could say? No?
Thanks for the suggestion!
Jesse

If he says no, maybe a smaller change is possible, one that helps achieve some of the benefits, and is still consistent with the current GUI of the MRCC. Being rather new to the MRCC I guess I forgot a couple of other edge cases, but here's what I have in mind:

Context: 
  • Port Filter sub-pages for input and output filters are pretty powerful, because besides setting the filters, you can also reorder the rows of the table, (via the green tab-stops) so that the ports you actually have filters on can be moved to the top of the table.
  • However what makes interacting with that table cumbersome at times is that only the first row of the table has tab-stops, and you have to go to to the tab bar to select another port for editing and then back to the tab-stops for the filters. 
  • Selecting and changing routings via the ROUTING BUTTONS works as expected while the Port Filter sub-pages are active

Proposed Change:
  • Selecting another routing via the ROUTING BUTTONS scrolls the table to the row for that input port (or output port, if you are on the sub-page for output filters). 
  • The focus stays on the current column, so setting up one type of filter for multiple ports would be achieved by simply pressing ENTER after selecting another port. 
  • The existing page navigation in the Port Filter sub-pages remains untouched and works work exactly as before. 

Consideration

Since we want to preserve the function of the Port Filter sub-pages, the ROUTING BUTTONS only change the port after the sub-page is opened, so there are cases where the current routing as displayed by the ROUTING LEDs is not in sync with the display:
  • when the user first opens a Port Filter sub-page, the topmost row is the first row of the table, and not necessarily the current input or output port as displayed on the ROUTING LEDs. That is consistent with current user's expectations, and expected if new users understand how this works.
  • when the user uses the scrollbar and/or changes the port number for a row, the ROUTING LEDs would also indicate a different port than the topmost row of the table. But since the user actively selected another row, the user would of course expect this.