Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does routing work with 2 MRCCs?
I see this in the manual:

Quote:MRCC-to-MRCC “remote” connection

Two MRCCs can connect to each other via the RJ45 cable. When 2 MRCCs are connected they will auto detect each other and the “=Y” icon in the upper right corner of the screen will illuminate.

The MRCC-to-MRCC connection extends the number of out-ports by 12x 5-pin + 4x USB Host + 1 USB device ports on the connected MRCC. In order to route MIDI messages to an extended out-port press and hold the “Y” button, then select the desired out-port. This mode works the same way routing MRCC out-ports but with Yellow LEDs (not blue). Press and hold the “Y” button while on the Activity screen and it will say “REMOTE” and show all the remote routings in yellow. Press and hold the “Y” button while on the Routing screen and it you will see that the out-port names are prefixed with an “r” i.e. “1 -> r4

This mentions out ports, but what about input ports? A single MRCC doesn't have enough inputs for me, so I'd like to have more. Is there any way for one MRCC (on my desk, for example) to utilize the inputs of a second MRCC (in a rack across the room) for routing?
The way it's worded probably has to do with the orientation of switching control.  An MRCC whose input you wish to route to an output is the one where the buttons determine the destination, either local or remote.  However, the system is bidirectional, so the inputs on the other unit can also be routed to both local and remote outputs, you just have to do the actual routing on that one, since it's those inputs you're utilizing.  Does that make sense?  Probably not!  Another way to look at it is, you can't call up inputs from the other device, but you can send to outputs on the other device, and that's true for both units in the pair.  As a result, any input on either unit can go to any output on either unit.  Also, there are 12 virtual PC inputs and outputs on each MRCC, so you could, for example, have a controller connected to a PC via USB, and route it with your DAW to a virtual port, and then on to a physical output.  This could give you even more inputs and outputs, depending on your computer / USB setup.
There's also the new 4x1 module which gives you 4 DIN inputs and plugs into one if the USB spots. So if you have a number of DIN MIDI pieces and not much USB, that might also be an option.
I will add to this that saving routing is limited to the source device, so if you load a preset that you have saved on one machine A) it will only load the preset on that machine, not both; and B) will not affect routings from the other device to that machine, which will persist until edited on that machine.
I’m thinking of buying a second MRCC as an expansion. Unless I am misunderstanding something, how could I possibly press and hold the Y button on MRCC 1 while simultaneously selecting the MIDI out port on MRCC 2 on the other side of the studio? There must be an easier way to do this. Would it be possible to implement a latch function on the Y button by double clicking for example?
(07-24-2022, 07:19 AM)seychmar Wrote: I’m thinking of buying a second MRCC as an expansion. Unless I am misunderstanding something, how could I possibly press and hold the Y button on MRCC 1 while simultaneously selecting the MIDI out port on MRCC 2 on the other side of the studio? There must be an easier way to do this. Would it be possible to implement a latch function on the Y button by double clicking for example?

On the MRCC that has the MIDI source (or input) you do both operations: select input, then, still from the same panel, select the destination (or output) on the other MRCC by doing the combo button press.  The Y button changes the function of the output buttons to temporarily address the other unit.  It can be done using just one hand.

Having two MRCCs is really nice.
(07-24-2022, 08:00 AM)Dark Waves Wrote:
(07-24-2022, 07:19 AM)seychmar Wrote: I’m thinking of buying a second MRCC as an expansion. Unless I am misunderstanding something, how could I possibly press and hold the Y button on MRCC 1 while simultaneously selecting the MIDI out port on MRCC 2 on the other side of the studio? There must be an easier way to do this. Would it be possible to implement a latch function on the Y button by double clicking for example?

On the MRCC that has the MIDI source (or input) you do both operations: select input, then, still from the same panel, select the destination (or output) on the other MRCC by doing the combo button press.  The Y button changes the function of the output buttons to temporarily address the other unit.  It can be done using just one hand.

Having two MRCCs is really nice.
Yeah, this is correct, you press the 'Y guy' button while pressing (on the same unit) the port number of the target port you wish to route to (on unit 2), so you only ever press the buttons of unit 1, but the output is routed to unit 2. If you wish to route from 2 to 1, then you must set those routings up on unit 2.