Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MIDI Filters Per Channel
please add a way to select midi channel on the port filter menu. right now if you have any gear that utilizes more than 1 midi channel, the port filter section is pretty much useless. i know there was another thread about this, but it didnt make alot of sense...
(05-28-2022, 09:45 PM)qazbox Wrote: please add a way to select midi channel on the port filter menu. right now if you have any gear that utilizes more than 1 midi channel, the port filter section is pretty much useless. i know there was another thread about this, but it didnt make alot of sense...

For devices with up to 4 channels, you could set up a Channel Map modifier, and set "Exclusive: Y", that would filter out all other channels.
(05-28-2022, 09:45 PM)qazbox Wrote: please add a way to select midi channel on the port filter menu. right now if you have any gear that utilizes more than 1 midi channel, the port filter section is pretty much useless. i know there was another thread about this, but it didnt make alot of sense...

If you can give me an idea of what it is you're trying to do, I can try and help you get there. The port filters page is for a scenario where you have something like a drum machine on an input that is dumping out MIDI clock and note messages that you don't want to go anywhere, you can set up a global filter on that input for clock and MIDI notes. Or in a situation where you want clock and real time messages to go to a sequencer but never MIDI notes, you could set a global filter on MIDI notes, etc. Vert useful, just not for every scenario.
(06-16-2022, 10:16 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: The port filters page is for a scenario where you have something like a drum machine on an input that is dumping out MIDI clock and note messages that you don't want to go anywhere, you can set up a global filter on that input for clock and MIDI notes. Or in a situation where you want clock and real time messages to go to a sequencer but never MIDI notes, you could set a global filter on MIDI notes, etc. Vert useful, just not for every scenario.

The manual explicitly states users should take care not to overload connected devices, so I think that would imply that filtering channels per output and per routing is required for many scenarios. Channel filters for routings, inputs and outputs would open up a lot of things that are currently cumbersome, and would make the Channel Map modfiers available for actual channel mapping. 

See my comment in the other thread about port filters how that might be implemented without too much hassle.
(06-16-2022, 10:16 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote:

If you can give me an idea of what it is you're trying to do, I can try and help you get there. The port filters page is for a scenario where you have something like a drum machine on an input that is dumping out MIDI clock and note messages that you don't want to go anywhere, you can set up a global filter on that input for clock and MIDI notes. Or in a situation where you want clock and real time messages to go to a sequencer but never MIDI notes, you could set a global filter on MIDI notes, etc. Vert useful, just not for every scenario.

i cant remember what i was trying to do originally. ive reorganized my midi setup to try and fix things, but its still not working. currently my deckards is receiving program change messages on all channels. so if i try to send a program change from my sequencer to, say, my drum machine, deckards will also change. so i need to filter program changes on all channels except 1 for deckards. also it would be nice to filter all midi notes on all channels except for 1. right now every time i use my sequencer with deckards i have to go into the deckards settings and change it off mpe so it doesnt recieve notes from all the other midi channels it is sequencing. if i could filter midi notes per channel that wouldnt be necessary.
(06-14-2022, 03:49 AM)Lizard of Oz Wrote:

For devices with up to 4 channels, you could set up a Channel Map modifier, and set "Exclusive: Y", that would filter out all other channels.

i cant seem to wrap my head around this, buit i dont think it will work because my sequencer utilizes 8 channels. presumably i would route channels 1-4 to an unused channel like 16. this also doesnt work for me because its going to an mpe device. it would work if there was an option to route to no midi channel. channel 0.
(06-20-2022, 03:21 PM)qazbox Wrote: i cant seem to wrap my head around this, buit i dont think it will work because my sequencer utilizes 8 channels. presumably i would route channels 1-4 to an unused channel like 16. this also doesnt work for me because its going to an mpe device. it would work if there was an option to route to no midi channel. channel 0.

The Channel Mapper can map up to 4 to a different - but also to the same - midi channel channelsIf you set exclusive to "y", and all other channels (those that are not routed) are filtered. This gives you effectively a channel filter that can remove 12-15 channels from the stream.

If you need more than 4 channels, you could try a loopback cable between an output and an input, so that you can use a second channel filter for 4 more channels, and then merge the result. I tested this and it works, if the MRCC becomes really slow in when you do this, you need to filter out clock messages from the loopback Smile
ok so what i did, under channel map, was have the one channel i wanted notes on, then the other 3 set to any unused midi channels. i know the manual says there is a "none" option for ch in, but i cant seem to bring it up. exclusive set to yes. i think this mostly fixes the problem between my deckards and sequencer. but i still have a problem of needing to filter just program changes on all channels except for 1 between my linnstrument and deckards.
Yeah, I'm bugging Steve about fixing that. Hopefully we can get that None for that, but also for the source would be nice. Fingers crossed.
For the PC messages email me at support@conductivelabs.com and I'll try and work that out with you. It may be possible, but I'll need to think it through, and I don't want to lose track of it which can happen on the forum pretty easily. (sorry everyone).
(06-21-2022, 07:55 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Yeah, I'm bugging Steve about fixing that. Hopefully we can get that None for that, but also for the source would be nice. Fingers crossed.
For the PC messages email me at support@conductivelabs.com and I'll try and work that out with you. It may be possible, but I'll need to think it through, and I don't want to lose track of it which can happen on the forum pretty easily. (sorry everyone).

Any update on "None" options (for the mapping destinations)?

I have an MPE use case which would benefit greatly from this (and where the loopback workaround is less practical).