Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CC to Program Change Mod
Lightbulb 
It's simple - many many controllers can't send Program Change messages, or allow to send single value. If we could change CC into Program Change, then it could be possible to change synth's preset by one knob. I have few synths where it's not easy to change preset quickly (jam, for example) like Modal Craft, Skulpt, where two hands are necessary to do that (and it's quite complicated and takes too long time). 

Another idea is to change single key press (for example pad) into increment/decrement program change. For example if i sent CC 1 value 1 then it will increment Program Change number, and when CC 1 value 10 then decrement Program Change (every time when pressed).
(05-17-2022, 09:59 AM)User Wrote: It's simple - many many controllers can't send Program Change messages, or allow to send single value. If we could change CC into Program Change, then it could be possible to change synth's preset by one knob. I have few synths where it's not easy to change preset quickly (jam, for example) like Modal Craft, Skulpt, where two hands are necessary to do that (and it's quite complicated and takes too long time). 

Another idea is to change single key press (for example pad) into increment/decrement program change. For example if i sent CC 1 value 1 then it will increment Program Change number, and when CC 1 value 10 then decrement Program Change (every time when pressed).

What controller are you using that can't send Program Change messages?
I know Steve was planning on making a Prog Change thing on the MRCC, and I think there was talk of being able to send 1 PC message to the MRCC and have that then send out different PC messages to different targets, in case you wanted to create performances you could pick a different program on each synth and they would still be capable of being controlled by one message. I'm not sure when he will get to it, but he has been spending more time developing for the MRCC again lately, so I'll see if I can go over the idea again next time I'm in the office.
(05-17-2022, 02:24 PM)oldgearguy Wrote:
(05-17-2022, 09:59 AM)User Wrote: It's simple - many many controllers can't send Program Change messages, or allow to send single value. If we could change CC into Program Change, then it could be possible to change synth's preset by one knob. I have few synths where it's not easy to change preset quickly (jam, for example) like Modal Craft, Skulpt, where two hands are necessary to do that (and it's quite complicated and takes too long time). 

What controller are you using that can't send Program Change messages?

Midi Fighter Twister, nanoKey/pad/control/studio, arturia keystep pro and much, much more. It's not CC (which is supported well) but incrementing program change (so one key press = Program Change +1 or -1 between 1-127)

(05-17-2022, 10:22 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: I know Steve was planning on making a Prog Change thing on the MRCC, and I think there was talk of being able to send 1 PC message to the MRCC and have that then send out different PC messages to different targets, in case you wanted to create performances you could pick a different program on each synth and they would still be capable of being controlled by one message. I'm not sure when he will get to it, but he has been spending more time developing for the MRCC again lately, so I'll see if I can go over the idea again next time I'm in the office.

That's grat news! I hope it will be implemented. I could be great if Program Change could be initiated by CC or NOTE message too (so we could use two midi keys to change prorgam). MRCC is my "brain" and this functionality could be great to centralize it.

I use the Blokas Midihub for exactly this.
(05-21-2022, 11:50 AM)Stratblue Wrote:

I use the Blokas Midihub for exactly this.

I could use computer to do that too, however it's MRCC forum Wink Midihub looks good, maybe if I have it before MRCC then I won't buy MRCC, but I'm happy MRCC user so hope to do that without hardware changes.
just a non-helpful comment from my use cases:

I spend way more energy *dis* abling program change messages everywhere than I do using them. I hate having a PC propagate across my setup switching stuff around when I'm not expecting it.
I've lost patches I was in the middle of editing because I changed a program on a sequencer or patchbay or synth and it spit out a PC message that jumped another device from edit mode to playing the newly selected patch.
This is a surprising solution, but in my case the best way to change program change quickly turned out to be to use ... Korg SQ-64. In the (fantastic) Control mode, you can easily define endless-knobs to change (precise - step-incremental) PC commands for individual synthesizers.

I have different controllers, but only SQ-64 can assign PC to endless knob. That's why it would be so great if we could convert CC to PC.
(05-17-2022, 10:22 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: I know Steve was planning on making a Prog Change thing on the MRCC, and I think there was talk of being able to send 1 PC message to the MRCC and have that then send out different PC messages to different targets, in case you wanted to create performances you could pick a different program on each synth and they would still be capable of being controlled by one message. I'm not sure when he will get to it, but he has been spending more time developing for the MRCC again lately, so I'll see if I can go over the idea again next time I'm in the office.

Hi Jesse, do you have any update regarding changing CC into program change? There are few, great endless knob controllers (I use it to control synths), but one - to change patch via CC controller is missing for me. It's reversed version of existing mod - PC to CC. I use SQ-64 to do that now, because SQ-64 allow to send PC via knob - and this is great way to change, but any CC controller could have this great function too. It's perfect for live jams.