Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pc port/monitoring with mac midi monitor
I tend to post embarrassingly simple question i think because i'm set in my ways, and then after a couple of years i try using a device in a different way.....

the mrcc (2 of them) has just worked flawlessly for me once i figured it out. I just use it.

but one thing that i have rarely done in my work flow is use midi clock to sync devices together. I'm not trying to figure out whether start/stop commands are being sent correctly through the mrcc. it's more complicated than that, since i'm setting up both connected devices to use clock, when normally i haven't. So this is all kind of new, but i think i understand midi and the basics of the mrcc.

circumstantial evidence thus far is that clock is working fine through the mrcc, but the start/stop commands are not - i'm guessing that because a direct midi cable between the 2 devices seems to make use of the midi start/stop, but going through the mrcc seems to sync the devices, but not start/stop the slave.  I thought I'd look at my midi monitor on the mac to see how the commands were coming in. hmmmm. am I going about this wrong? I hold the pc port out, and then press output 1 (i suppose i could press any of them for this purpose - it's just to monitor it). in any case, the midi monitor shows no clock at all. hmmm. the 3 to p01 routing page doesn't seem to show anything filtered....

what am i missing? i know that back when i used more daw midi throughput, i'd see clock commands on the midi monitor, so i'm suspecting that i have just forgotten something basic here.

thanks. hoping the question is dumb (= basic) and solved quickly.
Hey Nelson, can you give me a quick outline of the signal flow you are attempting to route here? Is the source the PC in Port 3 and destination PC out Port 1?

So to route that you would press and hold the left hand PC button and while held press Port 3, then Press and hold the right hand PC button and while held press the Port 1 button for instance. Once routed the Routing page should show symbols for MIDI data being passed, and if that is the only thing being routed, you could go over to the MIDI monitor at the end of the Tools menu, and that should show all data being passed, (which would only be this port since that is all that is routed). You may need to enable the monitor by navigating to the play pause tab stop and pressing the selection button.

If all that fails please feel free to send me an email at support@conductivelabs.com and I will set up a zoom meeting to take a look.

Jesse
NB -- also check your settings in your MIDI Monitor app on the computer. Most of the time, I have 'filter realtime messages' enabled because seeing constant streams of clock messages obscures the note on/off data or whatever else I'm really looking at. On the mac, there's also the ability to only monitor certain ports, so that also might be influencing what you see.
(05-10-2022, 09:05 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Hey Nelson, can you give me a quick outline of the signal flow you are attempting to route here? Is the source the PC in Port 3 and destination PC out Port 1?

So to route that you would press and hold the left hand PC button and while held press Port 3, then Press and hold the right hand PC button and while held press the Port 1 button for instance. Once routed the Routing page should show symbols for MIDI data being passed, and if that is the only thing being routed, you could go over to the MIDI monitor  at the end of the Tools menu, and that should show all data being passed, (which would only be this port since that is all that is routed). You may need to enable the monitor by navigating to the play pause tab stop and pressing the selection button.

If all that fails please feel free to send me an email at support@conductivelabs.com and I will set up a zoom meeting to take a look.

Jesse

curious.....let me separate this into 2 parts.

noticed this morning that the main reason that the other device wasn't responding correctly through the mrcc but was to a direct connection is that somehow i thought that it was connected to output port 7. But it was actually on output port 8. So, main problem solved.

But that shouldn't have anything to do with the fact that when i went to try out your suggestion, the midi monitor just worked before i even tried it. I didn't change anything except maybe jiggle the midi cable. Who knows. I thought i understood the connections, which is why i posted. Apparently i did more than I thought. I'll never know ....
MIDI Magic?
(06-04-2022, 07:32 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: MIDI Magic?

apparently.

the thing just works, so i guess i get a bit disoriented when it doesn't seem to be.