Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions from a new member
Hi everyone, just joined. I’m new to MIDI and have been putting off buying this for fear that it won’t connect everything together. I’m using almost all new era Equipment, guitar pedals with midi, hardware, software, and 4 midi controllers. 

5 pedals with 5 pin and 1 with usb
5 hardware with 5 pin,  1 with cv,  and a Microfreak
4 controllers: Fader Fox EC4, MP midi controller, Novation 49SL mk3, keysep37
I have also been looking at the iConnectivity mioXL but this seems easier and I can’t remember the downside/complaints about it. 
Sorry if this is an inappropriate first post. I haven’t been on a forum in 15 years. 
Thanks, Tim
Hey Tim,
Sorry, I started writing a response to this and then my computer reset and I lost track of it. Great idea checking in on this before making a purchase, I'll do my best to help you figure out if this is a good solution for your setup or not.
lets have a look and see what we can shake out.

So first off, all of the pedals with DIN MIDI should be compatible, DIN "just works" since it's just sending data and doesn't require any complicated negotiation to get going, so that's good.

Next the Keystep and Novation gear as well as the faderfox should all be confirmed as working. The MP controller we have not heard any reports on. If it can do DIN, then no problem, if it's USB, it's hard to say. It's safe to say that MRCC works via USB host port with Most devices, but there are a number of exceptions and without trying them we can't guarantee they'll work. The same goes for the other pedal, at this point it's hard to say for sure, but if you post what the pedal is maybe someone else may have it and could confirm one way or the other for us.

I've heard good things about the MIO, but configuring the routings is a little more cumbersome is my understanding, requiring you to edit a table or spreadsheet type of thing. Perhaps there are other users on the forum that may be able to chime in and give you their experience with it. I do know that our device the NDLR, in not recognized on the MIO via USB, but I don't know whether there are other device compatibility issues or not. I would assume there will be a few.

USB is just a complex system and most of the time the people who are developing the devices that use it are not the people who are designing the USB implementation of the device that is being used. It's my understanding that lot of time the hardware will have a preset MIDI stack that is provided by the manufacturer of the processors, so when things inevitably are set up in such a way that they don't play nicely with it's neighbors, it can get tricky to get them working together if to do so would require getting the microprocessor manufacturer to make changes in it's code to get it to behave.

In other cases the issue is related to configuration choices made by the synth maker, and while it's not always something we can fix, we have had a lot of success sorting some of these issues out, but usually this is only when we have the device in front of us to test and tinker around with, and again it's not really something we can guarantee success with.

We are doing our best to keep a running tally of all the devices we find to be compatible or non compatible which you can take a look at here:

https://conductivelabs.com/mrcc-usb-host...y-tracker/

I know that this doesn't take away all of the uncertainty, but I hope it helps getting you closer to a place you can make an informed decision. Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll be happy to help.

All the best,
Jesse