Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Transmit port labels to host
By default the MRCC identifies itself as USB host as MRCC, “Midi 1 (MRCC)” etc
Though when assigning midi ports to these host ports the MRCC already knows the label.
I.e. I got my “Moog One” connected to midi 1, mapped to USB host “Midi 1 (MRCC)”
It would be great if there is an other than the “none” label assigned, that label is broadcasted to the DAW rather than the default device name
So “Moog One” rather than “Midi 1 (MRCC)” 

iConnectivity works this way, it makes DAW connectivity a lot easier.
I would be happy if MRCC would provide ANY function to edit the port names provided to the host. Yes, transmitting the label names would be great, but if this is too challenging for now I would also gladly edit the names for HOST IN and HOST OUT ports manually.

I searched for quite some time if there's any way to change the MRCC label names in OS X. I tried to hack the "MIDI Configurations" file of AUDIO/MIDI setup, but none of this works. My impression is, that MRCC needs to provide the port names to OS X and there's no way around it.

As Raphie mentioned: iConnectivity offers editing the host port names in their configuration app, so it should be possible for MRCC as well.
I won't pretend to be an expert on this particular subject, but I've asked the dudes about this as well and it sounds like that possibility was already explored and it's not going to be possible. I assume the reason it works for Iconnectivity devices is that the configuration happens on the computer and not on the device. I'll run it by them again and see if I can convey the reasoning for the limitation though, since I am currently not able to clearly recall.
Jesse
Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm no expert here, but that doesn't sound logical to me. The information has to be stored in the hardware, because the hardware provides it to the OS, so why shouldn't it be possible to change and store it in the hardware?

Please discuss this again. Since there doesn't seem to be any hack on OS level it would make MRCC much more user friendly to see meaningful port names in the DAW or other applications.
the device name can be updated and propagated, logical question would be, Why then not the port names?
I can change them easily in Cubase though, so there is a host based alternative, but it being hardcoded in the MRCC would be even nicer Smile
Yes, the MIDI port names are provided by the device. Unfortunately renaming is not possible in every DAW. Live for instance doesn't offer renaming of MIDI ports.