Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Korg SQ-64 midi over USB (partially solved)
(01-07-2023, 02:05 AM)Dark Waves Wrote: A few weeks ago, I ran a new SQ-64 through the MRCCs USB, and the 4 tracks showed up on 4 sub-ports. I've been waiting to report this on the compatibility thread until I could test it more thoroughly. Getting the firmware on the SQ-64 updated was a major time consumption, due to finicky USB driver implementation. Hopefully I can get back to it soon.

Great to hear Dark Waves. Haven’t used the SQ64 via USB yet, but it’s a great little sequencer, although it get’s a lot of hate because it wasn’t fully developed, tested and finished at release. I have the latest FW update installed and it’s great! Except for a few new bugs that set it a few steps backwards for performing live. Such a shame, because the FW version prior, was very stable on those functions. Once Korg fixed that, it will be an absolute bang for the buck (Euro for me). Actually, it already is. Great writing tool for the foundation for me.

Put myself on the Circlon list a few years ago, without result. If you look at the price of a Circlon and what you can do with the SQ64, than the little unit is really great. Though 4 tracks is very very limited. Once they fixed all bugs and start producing an bigger 8 (or more) track version, where you can actually chain a complete track/song of 4 minutes or longer, instead of just 16 bars, then they will hit gold!
Music writer/producer based near Rotterdam, The Netherlands (Europe).
In music, have an open mind towards all genres. It helps you in doing the unexpected!
(01-07-2023, 02:05 AM)Dark Waves Wrote: A few weeks ago, I ran a new SQ-64 through the MRCCs USB, and the 4 tracks showed up on 4 sub-ports.  I've been waiting to report this on the compatibility thread until I could test it more thoroughly.  Getting the firmware on the SQ-64 updated was a major time consumption, due to finicky USB driver implementation.  Hopefully I can get  back to it soon.

Have to correct myself, probably a memory lapse, but brief testing today has only USB sub port 2 feeding anything.  However, using only USB bus power from MRCC, either setting (500mA or 2A) worked OK.
(01-07-2023, 07:04 AM)BruenMusic Wrote: Put myself on the Circlon list a few years ago, without result. If you look at the price of a Circlon and what you can do with the SQ64, than the little unit is really great. Though 4 tracks is very very limited. Once they fixed all bugs and start producing an bigger 8 (or more) track version, where you can actually chain a complete track/song of 4 minutes or longer, instead of just 16 bars, then they will hit gold!

I got on the Cirklon wait list almost 3 years ago; not sure if that gets me half way there or not!  In the meantime, I'm hoping to build a Midiphy Seq v4+, once I get my eyesight corrected.  The SQ-64 is still new to me, so I'm glad you think it has such potential.
Its been a while, but as I recall we found that the SQ64 was enumerating correctly with the MRCC USB host port. The problem though is that SQ64 only listened for "normal"
MIDI input on their USB MIDI virtual input 2. What a weird thing to do... anyway, since MRCC USB host ports only have one output there's no way to send MIDI to that 2nd virtual MIDI port via MRCC USB host.

The Korg SQ-1 does something like that too, where a 2nd USB MIDI virtual port is used for MIDI input for MIDI to CV conversion. That one makes a little more sense.
(01-11-2023, 02:42 PM)Darryl Wrote: Its been a while, but as I recall we found that the SQ64 was enumerating correctly with the MRCC USB host port. The problem though is that SQ64 only listened for "normal"
MIDI input on their USB MIDI virtual input 2. What a weird thing to do... anyway, since MRCC USB host ports only have one output there's no way to send MIDI to that 2nd virtual MIDI port via MRCC USB host.

The Korg SQ-1 does something like that too, where a 2nd USB MIDI virtual port is used for MIDI input for MIDI to CV conversion. That one makes a little more sense.

Is any chance to add virtual port support for USB output? Or any other solution to allow MRCC could send data to any/all virtual ports? It could be even “drop same output to all virtual ports on USB1”, something like that. SQ-64 got firmware update and it’s much better now, I already add it to setup and could be great to avoid few additional cables/routings to make it work. From one side there is low chance to get additional big update for SQ-64, from another side it’s not only SQ-64 using virtual input ports.