Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Korg SQ-64 midi over USB (partially solved)
Thumbs Up 
I'll leave my question + answer here, as my problem was solved. I misunderstood how virtual ports are working, but after I change virtual port from 1 to 2 and then create routing, then it works Smile In that case I cal also confirm SQ-64 works with MRCC via USB (for USB compatible devices list)

I tried to connect the Korg SQ-64 sequencer via USB, but unfortunately MRCC does not receive note messages. MRCC detects the SQ-64 (appeared in the name list), after setting the midi output channels (USB on, CH number) and playing something on the SQ keyboard, MRCC shows that it receives some signal (green triangle appears as IN) but does not receive notes and does not forward it to synthesizers. I will add that I connect another device to the same port and everything works.

Does anyone have SQ-64 and could confirm if midi works via USB?
Ok, but there is another problem. I can send signal from SQ-64 to any port, only via Virtual Cable 2, but I can't send signal from any other device to SQ-64 (for example transport, tempo or even notes/CCs). According to above example, it could be on virtual cable 2, but there is no virtual cable for USB input? Another device - Beatstep Pro works well, but with SQ-64 it could be similar problem, but no virtual cable-2 input.
This is interesting. I don't know what would be happening here, it seems like the SQ might be enumerating 2 ports. You are correct that if it is on Port 2 then it will not receive MIDI input from the host port, however. Without having one in front of me (or more accurately Steve) it would be hard to pin down what is going on precisely. I will make note of this limitation for the compatibility spreadsheet.
Does it show up as more than one device when plugged into a computer (like in the DAW MIDI preferences for instance)?
It is port 2, had the same issue on the MioXL where I needed to select port2 for it to work, same issue with midi in over USB not working. I now use the 64 with TRS midi in out on the MRCC. works great.
(03-06-2022, 06:56 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: This is interesting. I don't know what would be happening here, it seems like the SQ might be enumerating 2 ports. You are correct that if it is on Port 2 then it will not receive MIDI input from the host port, however. Without having one in front of me (or more accurately Steve) it would be hard to pin down what is going on precisely. I will make note of this limitation for the compatibility spreadsheet. 
Does it show up as more than one device when plugged into a computer (like in the DAW MIDI preferences for instance)?

Yes, I had to use Virtual Port 2 for USB host with SQ-64. After i create routing (USB->MIDI OUT) on Virtual Port 2 then it send signals correctly. But there is no way to send (for example clock) to SQ-64 via USB. Yes, it's possible SQ-64 have two ports for USB connection, I think I saw it when it was connected to computer.
Looking at the manual for the SQ-64:
The Global settings menu on SQ-64 lets you turn USB ports on and off, so make sure the ones you want are on.
If you are powering SQ-64 from the MRCC host port, you must setup the SQ-64 "Bus power" parameter to "500mA".
There is a "master/slave" setting in Global menu for setting SQ-64 to sync to clock.
Korg uses MIDI Type-A 3.5MM jacks, which can plug into the MRCC A jacks with a 3.5Mm TRS cable.
Yup, I did it before:
USB - on
500mA - on
USB Clock - on

TRS - yes, I know I can use TRS but I already use all TRS out A ports. Anyway I really would to use one USB cable, instead of 2/3 cables (midi in/midi out/power) for my portable setup.
It makes since that if the SQ-64 is only working on virtual input 2, then the output is also likely on virtual 2, which MRCC cannot access.
We would love to see a USB Device Tree Viewer dump of the SQ-64 USB enumeration data if someone can grab that for us.
The program is free and available here (for Windows only):
https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html
(03-28-2022, 03:24 PM)Darryl Wrote: It makes since that if the SQ-64 is only working on virtual input 2, then the output is also likely on virtual 2, which MRCC cannot access.
We would love to see a USB Device Tree Viewer dump of the SQ-64 USB enumeration data if someone can grab that for us.
The program is free and available here (for Windows only):
https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html

Hi Darryl, did you receive the USB Device Tree Viewer dump of the Korg SQ64, like requested? Or is this problem already tackled?

I just bought a MRCC and also use it with a Korg SQ64. In my setup I use it via TRS, but can install the mentioned Windows application with the SQ64. I need to do that in office next week, since I use a mac at home.
Music writer/producer based near Rotterdam, The Netherlands (Europe).
In music, have an open mind towards all genres. It helps you in doing the unexpected!
A few weeks ago, I ran a new SQ-64 through the MRCCs USB, and the 4 tracks showed up on 4 sub-ports.  I've been waiting to report this on the compatibility thread until I could test it more thoroughly.  Getting the firmware on the SQ-64 updated was a major time consumption, due to finicky USB driver implementation.  Hopefully I can get  back to it soon.

EDIT: See correction in subsequent post.