Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Octave transpose?
I've been increasingly frustrated with the number of 61 key keyboards I have with NO OCTAVE TRANSPOSE buttons.

I wonder if it would be possible to implement something where you can add a binding to a particular input, and shift its output up or down 12 semitones, where you could implement it by pressing the black button and one of the white buttons for up or down 12 semitones...

Not sure it's possible, and I get that this. could be feature creeping - but for sure I'd love to be able to utilize non-octave transposing synths as main controllers with this function.

Is it at all possible? Or just a dream...

Thanks
Hard to say for sure, but there are a number of things that would be higher on the list of priorities at this point, so I can safely say it would be faster to buy and arduino nano and learn to do some simple coding to make your own. Nuts and Volts' YouTube channel has some very beginner friendly tutorials on making a simple Arduino MIDI device.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXhxdsGREsU&t=694s
(02-09-2022, 09:19 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Hard to say for sure, but there are a number of things that would be higher on the list of priorities at this point, so I can safely say it would be faster to buy and arduino nano and learn to do some simple coding to make your own. Nuts and Volts' YouTube channel has some very beginner friendly tutorials on making a simple Arduino MIDI device.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXhxdsGREsU&t=694s

Alternately, it *could* be added as a very simple filter option.  Just like the MRCC blocks data and rechannelizes and whatever, a 'transpose by n' filter where you have a +/- 2 octave range would be handy and (IMHO) simple to implement.
It was previous request about transpose - not only octave but any value changed by external midi source. It will be very useful to use one hand to transpose all synths together. Midi transpose is implemented in Beatstep Pro, but no any other sequencer can do that, even Keystep Pro. MRCC could be great to do that for live jams. It will be very simple feature to implement in current transpose mod. Instead of manual transpose value, we could select midi source (keyboard) and set transpose according to which key is pressed. We will need to define "middle" key as "no transpose". This is something what i could help sooooo much in live jams. I stop using midi transpose when I start using KSP instead of BSP. KSP transpose is not usable for one hand.

Pleeeaaassseeeeee Smile
(02-10-2022, 07:23 AM)User Wrote: It was previous request about transpose - not only octave but any value changed by external midi source. It will be very useful to use one hand to transpose all synths together. Midi transpose is implemented in Beatstep Pro, but no any other sequencer can do that, even Keystep Pro. MRCC could be great to do that for live jams. It will be very simple feature to implement in current transpose mod. Instead of manual transpose value, we could select midi source (keyboard) and set transpose according to which key is pressed. We will need to define "middle" key as "no transpose". This is something what i could help sooooo much in live jams. I stop using midi transpose when I start using KSP instead of BSP. KSP transpose is not usable for one hand.

Pleeeaaassseeeeee Smile

Yeah, I guess my response was too brief.  Using the current transpose modifier hooked up to an incoming note stream on a particular MIDI channel (or worst case tied to a CC) would give you the added realtime capability.  In addition, having a range greater than +/- 12 half-steps would be great.

The issue with a patchbay is that if it's passing and routing everything though, it'll be hard to dynamically understand that "this particular note on this particular channel on this particular input" means transpose.  Having it controlled by a CC might be good enough.
(02-08-2022, 11:56 AM)acemonvw Wrote: I've been increasingly frustrated with the number of 61 key keyboards I have with NO OCTAVE TRANSPOSE buttons.

I wonder if it would be possible to implement something where you can add a binding to a particular input, and shift its output up or down 12 semitones, where you could implement it by pressing the black button and one of the white buttons for up or down 12 semitones...

Not sure it's possible, and I get that this. could be feature creeping - but for sure I'd love to be able to utilize non-octave transposing synths as main controllers with this function.

Is it at all possible? Or just a dream...

Thanks

Just an FYI, for anyone looking, the 61SL mk3 by Novation sequencing keyboard does transpose octaves down 3 and up 3 from the center for a total shift of 7, or an 11 octave span minus the top 5 keys in the upper octave.