Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
MRCC USB Host update
Also have the OXI, and frankly just skipped trying to get it to play with any of the MRCCs usb ports as I didnt want to waste a bunch of time and get even more frustrated with the MRCC
(02-28-2022, 09:53 AM)matthew Wrote: Also have the OXI, and frankly just skipped trying to get it to play with any of the MRCCs usb ports as I didnt want to waste a bunch of time and get even more frustrated with the MRCC

Based on the tracking number, it looks like the Conductive Labs guys will have an OXI to play with on the 28th.

Of course, there's no guarantee on how easy/hard it will be to decipher why the Universal Serial Bus protocol is not being so universal.
Awesome! I look forward to what they figure out. The OXI has been super growing on me.

Also, to add to the list of non-working USB hardware, My FH-2 from Expert Sleepers doesn't register incoming USB midi data from the MRCC. I can forward stuff through the midi USB chain (OMX27->FH-2 USB A -> Forward midi to FH-2 USB C -> MRCC) but any direct connections with the MRCC in the middle fail, i.e. OMX27 -> MRCC - FH-2.
(02-28-2022, 10:42 AM)matthew Wrote: Awesome! I look forward to what they figure out. The OXI has been super growing on me.

Also, to add to the list of non-working USB hardware, My FH-2 from Expert Sleepers doesn't register incoming USB midi data from the MRCC. I can forward stuff through the midi USB chain (OMX27->FH-2 USB A -> Forward midi to FH-2 USB C -> MRCC) but any direct connections with the MRCC in the middle fail, i.e. OMX27 -> MRCC - FH-2.

Note data, sysex, both?  You have the correct USB incoming port assigned on the MRCC and have that port connected to the desired out port?
Yeah it was set up on the MRCC side correctly. It turns out the A port on the fh-2 doesn't like the MRCC but the C port does? )age 9 of the FH-2 manual cleared me up:

Connecting to a USB host
Connect any class-compliant USB MIDI host to the FH-2's USB C socket. Note that this does not
require the host to have a USB C socket, or to support USB 3.0. For hosts without a USB C socket,
use a 'Type A to type C' cable, specified for USB 2.0 or USB 3.0.
The FH-2 does not draw power from the USB C socket.
When a USB host is connected and successfully communicating with the FH-2, a 'C' appears in the
USB indicator section at the left side of the display.
(02-28-2022, 06:48 PM)matthew Wrote: Yeah it was set up on the MRCC side correctly. It turns out the A port on the fh-2 doesn't like the MRCC but the C port does? )age 9 of the FH-2 manual cleared me up:

Connecting to a USB host
Connect any class-compliant USB MIDI host to the FH-2's USB C socket. Note that this does not
require the host to have a USB C socket, or to support USB 3.0. For hosts without a USB C socket,
use a 'Type A to type C' cable, specified for USB 2.0 or USB 3.0.
The FH-2 does not draw power from the USB C socket.
When a USB host is connected and successfully communicating with the FH-2, a 'C' appears in the
USB indicator section at the left side of the display.

Also note: this device was already listed in the USB host compatibility tracker as working. However, a lot of user reports are suspect, and there are nuances such as this that are not reported. Thanks for sharing the detail!
(02-28-2022, 10:03 AM)oldgearguy Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 09:53 AM)matthew Wrote: Also have the OXI, and frankly just skipped trying to get it to play with any of the MRCCs usb ports as I didnt want to waste a bunch of time and get even more frustrated with the MRCC

Based on the tracking number, it looks like the Conductive Labs guys will have an OXI to play with on the 28th.

Of course, there's no guarantee on how easy/hard it will be to decipher why the Universal Serial Bus protocol is not being so universal.

Thanks to the generous loan of an OXI by oldgearguy, we identified the problem with OXI's USB enumeration and sent the details to the developer.

In the meantime, we created a work-around to the issue in MRCC's USB host code. See the Open Beta Firmware version 1.0.051.

We don't know if this workaround could have unintended consequences, but we tested a few USB MIDI devices and nothing broke. However, we are no longer bailing out of enumeration when encountering an invalid USB MIDI descriptor, so there is some small risk. We really appreciate everyone's help in trying this beta firmware to see if any of your USB MIDI devices are negatively affected. Please report any issues with the beta FW in the MRCC Open Beta Firmware forum.
(03-28-2022, 03:46 PM)Darryl Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 10:03 AM)oldgearguy Wrote:

Thanks to the generous loan of an OXI by oldgearguy, we identified the problem with OXI's USB enumeration and sent the details to the developer.

In the meantime, we created a work-around to the issue in MRCC's USB host code. See the Open Beta Firmware version 1.0.051.

We don't know if this workaround could have unintended consequences, but we tested a few USB MIDI devices and nothing broke. However, we are no longer bailing out of enumeration when encountering an invalid USB MIDI descriptor, so there is some small risk. We really appreciate everyone's help in trying this beta firmware to see if any of your USB MIDI devices are negatively affected. Please report any issues with the beta FW in the MRCC Open Beta Firmware forum.

Had a quick check of the basics and for me the OXI is working with the 1.0.51 update. Thank you so much everyone.
That's awesome, thanks for the confirmation.
Wow! Great news! I’ll check later today, will report back!