Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Play chords when everything stopped
Question -- is there a way that the NDLR can just play the chord triggered by the front panel buttons?
It would be when all 4 parts are stopped.

It's useful (to me) to be able to hear some manual chord progressions before I play/record/sequence them.  I have been using the Pad with trigger set to None, but obviously the pad is designed to sustain and I'd like to be able to press and hold and then release the button(s) to hear how it sounds on a synth and maybe adjust the synth params, etc as I'm messing around.

thanks
(04-19-2019, 07:53 AM)oldgearguy Wrote: Question -- is there a way that the NDLR can just play the chord triggered by the front panel buttons?
It would be when all 4 parts are stopped.

It's useful (to me) to be able to hear some manual chord progressions before I play/record/sequence them.  I have been using the Pad with trigger set to None, but obviously the pad is designed to sustain and I'd like to be able to press and hold and then release the button(s) to hear how it sounds on a synth and maybe adjust the synth params, etc as I'm messing around.

thanks

This is exactly the request I was going to post lol! To be able to trigger the chords externally from say, a pad controller with velocity would be cool. The NDLR is a nice chord generator for sure and the eventual chord sequencer will be really useful for song construction. It will surpass the 'noodler' stage. Maybe then we'll call it the NidlerSmile
While it appears that the chord buttons are there to play chords, under the hood, those buttons are really there for choosing the chord/mode of the note pool for all of the parts. It’s the Pad part that plays poly notes from the pool. So architecturally it’s tricky to get something to play when the part isn’t on.

While it might be possible to play chords from those buttons (based on the Pad settings) while the parts are off, it would cause a different problem; when selecting the chord before starting a performance a chord would play, but maybe we could make a setting for that.

An alternative is to use The NDLRs transposing feature to play chords from a controller. The KeyStep has a chord mode for example.
Thanks for that explanation. The hope was for a single box to handle these types of tasks.
Just wanted to vote for this as well - it’s the only thing keeping me from immediately selling my Kordbot now that I have a NDLR.
I couldn’t beg for this feature enough. Darryl, I can appreciate the architecture limitations of making the chord buttons “playable”, so maybe you can investigate a solution that incorporates other buttons. For example, the user could hold down the PAD PLAY button (engages manual mode as long as it is held), and then play the chord buttons manually. The output of note information would be based on the current settings of the PAD channel, and normal operation is resumed when the user releases the PAD PLAY button.

I know, easier said than done, but a feature of this nature would really take this device to the next level.

Cheers!