Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple MRCCs -> USB Hub -> Computer?
Before I go ordering a powered USB hub, what happens with two MRCCs plugged into a hub?  Does that work or does each MRCC need to be on a dedicated port on the computer?

I have 4 things plus keyboard and mouse that all want USB connectivity to the computer and am trying to figure out the best way to do that.
That's essentially my setup, all 3 USB ports on my laptop are fed by hubs, and 2 MRCCs are plugged into those. On the firmware thread I've described my experience; just noticed the latest update there, which, apparently, I missed last week, so still need to try that out. I noticed you're on a Mac, so mileage may vary, but if anything would probably be better. In any case, there are always 24 MRCC ports available in my DAW, just hasn't been consistent what they're called, but I've managed to find a startup sequence that minimizes the confusion.
(01-02-2022, 11:26 AM)Dark Waves Wrote: That's essentially my setup, all 3 USB ports on my laptop are fed by hubs, and 2 MRCCs are plugged into those.  On the firmware thread I've described my experience; just noticed the latest update there, which, apparently, I missed last week, so still need to try that out.  I noticed you're on a Mac, so mileage may vary, but if anything would probably be better.  In any case, there are always 24 MRCC ports available in my DAW, just hasn't been consistent what they're called, but I've managed to find a startup sequence that minimizes the confusion.

Thanks for chiming in.  I ordered a powered 4 port hub to see how it all behaves.
Yes - on the Mac (so far), my MRCC port identification/naming has stayed consistent.
There are still some edge cases where the naming convention can fail to follow the new format, but I think you may be the one who ran into that first anyway so you know that. Other than that it should work on paper, but with the caveat that all USB hubs are not created equal. If you do have success with one maybe post the model name up for future reference, (and I guess it's equally important to know if it fails).
Aside from the (specific) device identification behavior for Win 10 being discussed in the Firmware thread, my experience running the 2 MRCCs through hubs has been quite reliable.  Two brands I've found to work well, with good longevity, are StarTech and TP-Link.  Specifically, the two currently handling an MRCC each are:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DVEWH4
and
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L07AAZM/
both of which are StarTech.  There's no particular reason I've not yet tried the TP-Link hub, other than it being a late addition to my peripherals.
(01-04-2022, 07:43 PM)Dark Waves Wrote: Aside from the (specific) device identification behavior for Win 10 being discussed in the Firmware thread, my experience running the 2 MRCCs through hubs has been quite reliable.  Two brands I've found to work well, with good longevity, are StarTech and TP-Link.  Specifically, the two currently handling an MRCC each are:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DVEWH4
and
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L07AAZM/
both of which are StarTech.  There's no particular reason I've not yet tried the TP-Link hub, other than it being a late addition to my peripherals.

Thanks for the links.  I have a different powered hub on the way and if it doesn't handle things I'll try the StarTech.

EDIT - the hub arrived and doesn't work for the MRCCs. The hub I tried is the Atolla 204 USB 3.0 powered hub.
However, it works just fine for the Electra One MIDI controller and keyboard and mouse, so all those will go into the hub and the MRCCs will go direct into the Mac.

One downside to messing around - all my names for the ports got wiped out somehow in my DAW (Waveform 11.5) so I have to recreate thos again.  No big deal, just a head's up.