Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MRCC 880 Not outputting midi
I just received my MRCC 880 this afternoon, and I'm trying to use it to control midi on my Sub 37. 
  • The midi I'm sending is from a clip on a midi track my DAW (Ableton 11)
  • I've connected my 880 to my MacBook Pro (Intel) via a CalDigit hub, and it is being detected in Ableton's "Midi From" and "Midi To" menus on each track.
  • I've activated the "Out" ports for "Track" in Ableton's "Link/Tempo/Midi" settings tab so that the notes are sent through all four ports of the MRCC 880.  
  • However, when I send midi via the midi cable I have going from my 880 (OUT) to my to my Sub 37 (IN), nothing happens.  
  • I know my midi is setup correctly in the Sub 37 because I have a Motu 828 Audio Interface with midi out that can send midi to the the Sub 37 using the same cable on the same port (1), and the Sub 37 responds to that (i.e., it plays notes).  

Other details include:
  • I can see that midi is being transmitted "from" the daw because the midi channel is lighting up each time a note is played by the daw. 
  • I've also tried sending Midi "In" from the "Out" port on the Sub 37, but no midi is making it to my DAW.

As far as I can tell, other than my settings in Ableton, I think this should be plug & play, no?  Am I missing anything?  I tend to assume I'm doing something wrong when things like this happen, but I don't know what to do at this point.  I would appreciate any assistance you can provide!

P.S. I'm not using this to rout one midi device to another - just mid to and from my daw directly.

Update: So I've been reading the manual, and I read the section on Routing USB Midi Virtual Inputs (From DAW to Din). I realized that I may have to follow these instructions, and so I have been.  It says to hold down the PC "In" button, which I do, and it says that the green LEDs will light up, but they don't light up at all when I press the "In" PC button.  They do light up in a temporary an serial fashion during power-up, but that's it.  Otherwise, no button presses will light up any of the buttons on the device.  I'm assuming that's bad, right?
Hey, let's see if I can give you a hand with this. I have Ableton on a MacMini over here and should be able to test the setup process and help figure out if there is a step that isn't mentioned above. One thing I'd like some clarification on is the MIDI Channel lighting up, where exactly is the light you're describing? Is this on the DAW or are you in MIDI Monitor mode on the 880? If not that may be a good troubleshooting step.

Something else occurs to me, you mention setting the output port in the DAW, but are you routing the PC port in to the MIDI DIN port out on the MRCC 880? If not that could be our issue. In DAW you need to send the MIDI to port 1-4, as you mention, but then on the Device you can send any of those PC ports to the DIN outs by pressing [PC PORT LEFT BUTTON + PORT1 (or 2,3,4)] to select which virtual port to route, this should light up the selected DIN port LED green until released, then after releasing the buttons, press the DIN port buttons you want that port routed to. In other words: the output ports listed in the DAW are internal virtual connections and need to be routed to the Physical DIN ports to actually go anywhere. If you want to send each Virtual port to it's own DIN output, you could do so by selecting Virtual Port 1, routing it to DIN1, Virtual Port2 to DIN2, etc. or you could just use 1 port and send it to all 4 and split downstream devices by MIDI channel.
Hi Jesse,

Thanks for your assistance. You may have just missed my update, but basically I realized what you said about routing from the daw to "In" on the 880 and then to "Out" on the 880.

The problem I'm having is that none of the lights work. Holding buttons downs doesn't seem to be doing anything. I tried to use "Midi Mon" but it, like all the other buttons, doesn't do anything. Consequently I'm not able to setup the routing or monitor it.

And as for where I was seeing the midi output, it's on the bottom of the midi track, in a bar made of a series of "LEDs" that indicates midi activity (it also appears in the upper right corner of Ableton as a small blinking square).
Gotcha, I did miss that update. It sure sounds like we should set up a Zoom call and try and diagnose this face to face, if you can send me an email at Support@conductivelabs.com with your availability in the next few days (as well as your timezone) I can set it up and send you an invite at a time that works for both of us.
(06-11-2023, 12:45 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Gotcha, I did miss that update. It sure sounds like we should set up a Zoom call and try and diagnose this face to face, if you can send me an email at Support@conductivelabs.com with your availability in the next few days (as well as your timezone) I can set it up and send you an invite at a time that works for both of us.

Sounds good.  I sent you an email you can can respond to to setup the Zoom call as well as a video in a second email.