Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MRCC needs powercycle in fully booted windows
Some new findings, but still no ultimate solution...

I have a new MacBook Pro with USB C ports. To connect it to the "USB 2 Type B“ host port of the MRCC I use a standard "USB 2 A to B“ cable and attach a „USB A to C adapter“ – the official Apple one: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2...sb-adapter

Unplugging/replugging the adapter from/to the cable has the same effect as unplugging/replugging at the MRCC side: it works. (This can be used as a temporarily workaround.)
Unplugging/replugging the adapter at the MacBook side does not work: MRCC does not reappear.

I discussed this with a developer I know and he told me "If the adapter is active, i.e. contains ICs, then this can make a difference. Because once the device disappears, and once the adapter (and the device implicitly). And there apparently macOS gets confused.“

So I ordered two different "USB C to B" cables to get rid of the adapter and was hoping that they would solve the problem. Unfortunately that didn't work. These cables behave exactly like the combination of cable and adapter I used before: Unplugging/replugging at the MacBook side makes the MRCC disappear and not reappear.

So I feel a bit stuck now. If any of you uses MRCC with a USB C Mac – and replugging the cable at the MacBook side makes MRCC reappear in Audio/MIDI setup, please let me know what cable you are using. Thanks a lot!
I upgraded to a 2018 Mac Mini with the Thunderbolt ports.  I'm using a 4 port hub plugged into the USB C and when I plug the MRCC into that hub, it appears in the Audio/MIDI setup and unplugging at the port (the hub is still plugged into the Mac), it greys out then reappears when reconnected.

The hub I'm using is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08THLZ4K9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

The slightly weird/good/interesting thing is that unplugging/plugging the MRCCs directly to the USB A ports on the Mac tends to drop the -A/-B designators whereas using the hub, the name extension always seems to be preserved.
Thanks, but that doesn't help in my situation because I have a MacBook. I can't leave something plugged in, neither a cable nor a hub.

When I discovered that it makes a difference which side of the cable I unplug I thought "No way. That's not possible. It's just a cable."
But the "USB C to A" cable (and the USB C adapter) seem to contain active components, which turns them into "devices" to Mac OS – and I assume they are powered from the USB C port.
  • Unplugging the USB C plug shuts off this power: "device" and MRCC disappear at the same time, which confuses Mac OS, so MRCC does not reappear when replugging.
  • Unplugging the adapter (or the cable at the MRCC side) does not shut off this power: The "device" (cable/adapter) stays visible to Mac OS, MRCC disappears and reappears when replugging.
(03-02-2022, 02:47 PM)starfish Wrote: Thanks, but that doesn't help in my situation because I have a MacBook. I can't leave something plugged in, neither a cable nor a hub.

When I discovered that it makes a difference which side of the cable I unplug I thought "No way. That's not possible. It's just a cable."
But the "USB C to A" cable (and the USB C adapter) seem to contain active components, which turns them into "devices" to Mac OS – and I assume they are powered from the USB C port.
  • Unplugging the USB C plug shuts off this power: "device" and MRCC disappear at the same time, which confuses Mac OS, so MRCC does not reappear when replugging.
  • Unplugging the adapter (or the cable at the MRCC side) does not shut off this power: The "device" (cable/adapter) stays visible to Mac OS, MRCC disappears and reappears when replugging.

OK, I'll check if I have an appropriate cable around that's long enough and see what I can see.
@oldgearguy: Did you have a chance to check it?

BTW: When I wrote "which confuses Mac OS" I didn't mean that this is an OS X issue. I have several other devices with USB B port, like Push 2, which don't show this issue: unplugging/replugging on either side: no problem – with the same cables or adapters.
(03-05-2022, 02:16 AM)starfish Wrote: @oldgearguy: Did you have a chance to check it?

BTW: When I wrote "which confuses Mac OS" I didn't mean that this is an OS X issue. I have several other devices with USB B port, like Push 2, which don't show this issue: unplugging/replugging on either side: no problem – with the same cables or adapters.

I do not have any cables or adapters that go from USB B to USB C, so I can't test your specific issue.  Since the Mac Mini here had a couple of USB A ports, I used them for the MRCCs since I had the correct cables for that (type and length).

I hate to say it, but maybe just buy 3 or 4 different brands from Amazon and return the ones that don't work.  I don't like doing that kind of thing on a regular basis, but there are times when adapters or connectors are very picky and that was the only way to find one that worked.
Just tested .44 and called my first MRCC-A and the 2nd MRCC-B they keep there names and seem to propagate properly in Win11 without rebooting windows. Now I need to check if they keep processing midi as well. But do far so good.
I finally I found a mini hub that works with Mac USB C. You can unplug/replug it or the cable on either side and MRCC reappears.

Dell DA20u
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/de-de...ms?lang=en

USB-Type-C-to-USB-Type-A 3.0 (5 Gbit/s)

I don't know why this hub works and everything else I tried before (cables / adapters) doesn't, but at least it proves that there SHOULD be USB B to C cables that work.