Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MRCC/computer performance ok?
Looking at moving from external hw MIDI sequencer(s) to a computer (just for MIDI duties).
It seems to make sense to use the MRCCs connected directly to the USB ports on the computer and route everything in and out via the 12 virtual ports per MRCC.

Has anyone been doing that with heavy MIDI traffic and multiple virtual channels?
How has the performance been?  Latency/jitter through the MRCC been stable/good/excellent?
Any gotchas that slowed you up?

I know to a degree it depends on the DAW being used and the underlying hardware, but I'd still be interested in hearing any first-hand experiences.

thanks for any info.
Don't know how helpful this will be, since I'm not pushing things very hard in the way you described, but as there aren't any other replies yet, maybe it can be a start:

Most of what I'm playing are a handful of tracks coming out of a keyboard sequencer (61SL Mk3) through my DAW (Studio One) and out 2 MRCCs to some synths.  The 61SL and the MRCCs are each plugged in to one of three different USB hubs, so the DAW handles routing the keyboard first, then the MRCCs pass it along, mostly via DIN, but also to a Pulse 2 over one of the USB ports.  Another 61SL MIDI output goes through a Midihub to my drum machine to start patterns playing, and a 303 clone sequence starts via an MRCC connection.

So far as I've noticed (and I claim neither much experience, nor the facility to measure these things objectively) all the elements appear to be running in time.  A drummer could surely give a more confident answer, but though I'm a relative novice with my setup, the deficiencies I perceive stem from production and performance aspects, and not from machine timing problems.
Thanks for that. I know there's a lot of devices designed to get audio and MIDI synced/lined up for recording/playback.
I just don't see discussions about pure MIDI streams. I would be doing something similar with a KeyLab 61 and various hardware sequencers sending to the MRCC which then fed the DAW for recording. On playback, it would be the DAW sending out to the MRCCs via USB.

My thought was that *if* the computer was fast enough to spit out the data, having 12 (or 24) parallel paths across the USB bus to the MRCCs would result in very consistent MIDI performance with minimal data clogging.