Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Port Filtering - add midi channel?
Lightbulb 
Maybe I shouldn't take care of that, but I have just idea to reduce of "flying" midi commands to output devices. Some of gears use only one, or two input channels. As there is input/output filtering for CC/Note/Clock etc comments, it could be useful (for "cleaning" / optimize reason) to select active midi channel(s) and all different that defined will be ignored. 

Now if i allow routing from my sequencer (for example 4 channels CH1-CH4) to all synths, this will send every midi commands to each of them, for all channels. If I define that my synth on OUT1 use only CH1 then all commands sent to CH2, CH3, CH4 will be ignored on OUT1.
(11-10-2021, 02:53 PM)User Wrote: Maybe I shouldn't take care of that, but I have just idea to reduce of "flying" midi commands to output devices. Some of gears use only one, or two input channels. As there is input/output filtering for CC/Note/Clock etc comments, it could be useful (for "cleaning" / optimize reason) to select active midi channel(s) and all different that defined will be ignored. 

Now if i allow routing from my sequencer (for example 4 channels CH1-CH4) to all synths, this will send every midi commands to each of them, for all channels. If I define that my synth on OUT1 use only CH1 then all commands sent to CH2, CH3, CH4 will be ignored on OUT1.

+1 

I find that most of the routings I make routings actually route one more channels - and not all data from one port - and I have to set up the devices in a way so that the other channels don't get in the way. 

So I think channel filtering is also helpful for the routings (pre-modifiers, as the other filters are), and that way port filters and routing filters would remain consistent.

Problem with a channel filter: you need 16 toggles, and one would need to find a way to add that to the interface in a way that it is still manageable. Maybe one tab-stop of 4x4 dots, and if you click ENTER on that, it zooms to a bigger square and you can select each channel via up/down and toggle it on/off via ENTER. Press STANDBY/ESCAPE to zoom out again.

Edit: clarification.
(11-10-2021, 02:53 PM)User Wrote: Maybe I shouldn't take care of that, but I have just idea to reduce of "flying" midi commands to output devices. Some of gears use only one, or two input channels. As there is input/output filtering for CC/Note/Clock etc comments, it could be useful (for "cleaning" / optimize reason) to select active midi channel(s) and all different that defined will be ignored. 

I think this is the same thing as using ChMap mod with Exclusive= true. With this Mod you select the 4 midi channels you want to pass through, and where you want them sent, (and this can simply be 1>1, 2>2, 3>3, 4>4 if you want,) then if you set Exclusive on it will block all other routings on other channels. It's still not perfect in my eyes, because I don't think you can route less than 4 channels, but with a little planning and creative thinking you could block more with a second Mod slot if needed. No current way exists for routing more than 4 channels currently, however.
(06-20-2022, 09:23 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: I think this is the same thing as using ChMap mod with Exclusive= true. With this Mod you select the 4 midi channels you want to pass through, and where you want them sent, (and this can simply be 1>1, 2>2, 3>3, 4>4 if you want,) then if you set Exclusive on it will block all other routings on other channels. It's still not perfect in my eyes, because I don't think you can route less than 4 channels, but with a little planning and creative thinking you could block more with a second Mod slot if needed. No current way exists for routing more than 4 channels currently, however.

If the Mapper has a minimum of four mappings, how would you remove, 1 or 2 more? If you just need 1 channel, you can use the Channel to Port Mapping and then use the channel mapper to map that channel to the one you actually want.

If you want to route more than 4 channels, you can try a loopback cable, see my post in another thread about channel filtering..
The totally hack-y way to do it is use 2 mod slots. Say you want ch 1 only, then on the first slot you pass 1234, and set exclusive on, then in slot 2 you pass 1 567 and set exclusive on. This way only channel 1 passes through both.
(06-22-2022, 08:35 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: The totally hack-y way to do it is use 2 mod slots. Say you want ch 1 only, then on the first slot you pass 1234, and set exclusive on, then in slot 2 you pass 1 567 and set exclusive on. This way only channel 1 passes through both.

Nice, hadn’t thought of that.
Wow, I just found this by chance while searching for a solution to filter out all channels but one for a specific routing. Thanks for the hack-y tip. It works indeed, but it would be better to solve this in the firmware. The manual mentions a NONE option for the input ports, which is just not there. Mapping one channel and setting the other three to NONE would be way more intuitive.