Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you need this MRCC accessory?
Question 
We've just ordered samples of this accessory for testing and want to gauge interest to help us decide how many to make. Its a 4 DIN input and 1 DIN output expander for MRCC. It uses an MRCC USB host port, and each DIN port is automatically connected to the USB host port's 4 ins and 1 out USB virtual MIDI ports. An MRCC can host 4 of these, if you don't mind giving up the USB host ports.

You could use a short USB cable to have it close to MRCC, or a longer cable to get it to where you need more I/O. USB 2.0 has a cable limit of about 5 meters, or you could use an active USB extension cable and go further. 

Besides acting as a DIN (and 3.5mm type A jack) expander for MRCC, it can be used with your PC as a 4 in to 1 out MIDI interface. Or, use it as a USB powered 4 to 1 MIDI merger.

The street price will be in the ballpark of $80 USD, but we haven't bottomed out on the full cost yet so it could go up or down a bit.

We've had a fairly high attached rate for the Remote 7 to add outputs. Would this be just as interesting? Do you need it? Please comment below   Smile
Yes pls Smile the rem7 serves all my midified FX and moog semi modular really well!
Remote distribution, close to the end point is very highly regarded here.
How many can be connected to an MRCC?   Big Grin

seriously though, I still use a non-MRCC MIDI patchbay and sacrifice an I/O on each MRCC to connect to this non-MRCC PB because I have more traditional DIN MIDI connections than fits on two MRCCs.

I'd be willing to give up a USB port on each MRCC for a total of 8 more Inputs.  So pencil me in for two no matter what their price ends up being.

Suggested engineering design thought experiment -- looking at my setups, my MRCCs are not rackmounted.  I do have a bit of space above each MRCC, but no good way to anchor this new box.  Maybe you could design a replacement left side panel that would be an extender to also screw into the new box.  If it was a solid piece of metal (rather than a bolt-on bracket) it should be strong enough and with a small strip of adhesive-backed felt that stuck to the front of the new box, it would prevent the paint from being scratched when the two boxed were screwed to the new side panel.
Since I like to have all my gear hooked up, even if the likelihood of using a connection is low, such a box would help achieve that. So many little mono synths and beat machines have built in sequencers that it's possible to sometimes want to feed their MIDI outputs to other things, even just into a DAW for capture, so a box like this would be useful in that regard.
(11-11-2021, 03:27 AM)oldgearguy Wrote: How many can be connected to an MRCC?   Big Grin

seriously though, I still use a non-MRCC MIDI patchbay and sacrifice an I/O on each MRCC to connect to this non-MRCC PB because I have more traditional DIN MIDI connections than fits on two MRCCs.

I'd be willing to give up a USB port on each MRCC for a total of 8 more Inputs.  So pencil me in for two no matter what their price ends up being.

Suggested engineering design thought experiment -- looking at my setups, my MRCCs are not rackmounted.  I do have a bit of space above each MRCC, but no good way to anchor this new box.  Maybe you could design a replacement left side panel that would be an extender to also screw into the new box.  If it was a solid piece of metal (rather than a bolt-on bracket) it should be strong enough and with a small strip of adhesive-backed felt that stuck to the front of the new box, it would prevent the paint from being scratched when the two boxed were screwed to the new side panel.

Thanks for your feedback!

Each MRCC can host up to 4 of these if you can sacrifice the USB MIDI Host ports.

We could potentially make it with angled side panels like the MRCC has. Then it would be possible to remove the rubber feet from one side of the MRCC and the adjoining side of the expander, then connect them together with a small flat bracket using the holes left by the feet. The only complication is the bracket and screws have to be thin so it won't lift the enclosures, and it will probably rest on the table surface in place of the feet. If the wholes were tapped and counter sunk that would help.
I’d consider replacing the remote-7 with this due to the more integrated experience and ability to label ports.
(11-11-2021, 01:16 PM)Darryl Wrote:
(11-11-2021, 03:27 AM)oldgearguy Wrote: How many can be connected to an MRCC?   Big Grin

Each MRCC can host up to 4 of these if you can sacrifice the USB MIDI Host ports.

We could potentially make it with angled side panels like the MRCC has. Then it would be possible to remove the rubber feet from one side of the MRCC and the adjoining side of the expander, then connect them together with a small flat bracket using the holes left by the feet. The only complication is the bracket and screws have to be thin so it won't lift the enclosures, and it will probably rest on the table surface in place of the feet. If the wholes were tapped and counter sunk that would help.

I wouldn't be a fan of them side-by-side because my L-R space is more constrained.  Because you tend to have to leave space *somewhere* for the front-facing cables so they can flow and be out of the way of the buttons and screen, I tend to have open space above the MRCC.  Plus, for those people that have it rackmounted, above/below still could work for them.

Bottom line though - no matter where it ends up being placed (even on the ground), as long as I can label the ports in the menus and cable stuff up to it, it's an instant buy (x2).
(11-12-2021, 03:35 AM)oldgearguy Wrote:
(11-11-2021, 01:16 PM)Darryl Wrote:

I wouldn't be a fan of them side-by-side because my L-R space is more constrained.  Because you tend to have to leave space *somewhere* for the front-facing cables so they can flow and be out of the way of the buttons and screen, I tend to have open space above the MRCC.  Plus, for those people that have it rackmounted, above/below still could work for them.

Bottom line though - no matter where it ends up being placed (even on the ground), as long as I can label the ports in the menus and cable stuff up to it, it's an instant buy (x2).
Oh, I see now. I missed the "above" part.
We received the sample MRCC XpandR 4x1 PCBs and they are working great! Need a little more work on the firmware, but we can begin hardware production. We hope to have units available before Chinese New Year. I'll update when we have complete samples in enclosures, and when we have line of site to shipping.

(12-05-2021, 02:12 PM)Darryl Wrote: We received the sample MRCC XpandR 4x1 PCBs and they are working great! Need a little more work on the firmware, but we can begin hardware production. We hope to have units available before Chinese New Year. I'll update when we have complete samples in enclosures, and when we have line of site to shipping.

This definitely sounds like something I’d be interested in!

I’m also in the camp of having maxed out both of my MRCC INs. I was considering buying a third, but I wasn’t sure if that was supported, or if it would just function on its own with no cross-routing between MRCCs.