Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MIDI Clock in is Crazy!
Hello new friends,

I have recently added an NDLR to my toolbox, and am trying to sync it to MIDI clock from a Protools session; tempo of the session is 60 bpm, and MIDI Beat Clock is set to be going out the appropriate output (in my case, Port 8 of a MOTU MIDI Express XT).

When I set the NDLR clock to MIDI In A it displays  a tempo of 2500.00bpm, and spews data so fast is overflow the MIDI buffer on my hardware synths.

What am I missing?

Thanks for any help here!

kS
Usual suspect in cases like this is a MIDI loop where the output of the NDLR is being fed back around into the computer which then sends it back out, etc.

Just to verify, check the NDLR MIDI settings on page 1. See if any of the parts are sending their data back to a MIDI DIN or USB port connected to the DAW.
Or - unplug all the output from the NDLR (assuming it's connected to the DAW via MIDI DIN A).
(10-09-2021, 02:29 AM)oldgearguy Wrote: Usual suspect in cases like this is a MIDI loop where the output of the NDLR is being fed back around into the computer which then sends it back out, etc.

Just to verify, check the NDLR MIDI settings on page 1.  See if any of the parts are sending their data back to a MIDI DIN or USB port connected to the DAW.
Or - unplug all the output from the NDLR (assuming it's connected to the DAW via MIDI DIN A).

Great suggestion, thank you very much; and yes, disconnecting the MIDI Out of the NDLR does break this loop, and now the NDLR locks correctly to MIDI Beat Clock from Protools.

The next step, of course, is to figure out how to reconnect MIDI from the NDLR back into Protools without this loop; my workflow is that I want to record the 4 MIDI channels being generated by NDLR, so I do need both Beat Clock from PT and NDLR Output back into the DAW.

I'll see if I can filter Beat Clock on the Input channels of PT.  Or any other pointers much appreciated!

kS
*Update*

Well, DIN MIDI is not happy with this configuration, which is odd because recording into a DAW while syncing to the tempo of the session in the DAW seems like a pretty simple use case, but I could not find any way with my combo of Protools, MIDI Express XT and NDLR to avoid this Beat Clock feedback loop.

However, simply connecting the NDLR to the Mac via USB allows me to send Beat Clock to NDLR over DIN MIDI and get my 4 channels of NDLR data into the Protools session over USB MIDI, while synced to the tempo of Protools - so the problem is solved.

Hope this will be helpful to anyone else with this setup.

Thanks for the help here!

kS
Switch the ins a and outs to midi channel b on the ndlr. Solved my issue took me about 10hrs to figure it out !