Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Routing Causing MRCC to Freeze
(10-02-2021, 03:50 PM)oldgearguy Wrote: I kept my Arturia stuff updated to the latest versions and have the 37 connected (and powered) via the USB only and it's been solid.

Weird. It would be nice to have feedback from other setups. The specific thing we do is use the NDLR Pad section to send notes to the the KS37, through the MRCC, and send its arpeggiated notes back into the MRCC to route those to other instruments. The KS37 works on one channel only, so the suggested cure was to "redirect" the returned note messages to another channel using an MRCC channel modifier, but the hanging keeps happening.
(10-03-2021, 10:53 PM)Eamoex Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 03:50 PM)oldgearguy Wrote: I kept my Arturia stuff updated to the latest versions and have the 37 connected (and powered) via the USB only and it's been solid.

Weird. It would be nice to have feedback from other setups. The specific thing we do is use the NDLR Pad section to send notes to the the KS37, through the MRCC, and send its arpeggiated notes back into the MRCC to route those to other instruments. The KS37 works on one channel only, so the suggested cure was to "redirect" the returned note messages to another channel using an MRCC channel modifier, but the hanging keeps happening.

ok - I happen to have recently (re)acquired a NDLR, so I can set up something like you have to test.
(10-04-2021, 02:05 AM)oldgearguy Wrote: ok - I happen to have recently (re)acquired a NDLR, so I can set up something like you have to test.

Nice.

BTW the configuration is really very interesting, because the KS37 has all sorts of fancy arpeggiating tools, including variable speed strumming, very cool. When slaved to the NDLR Pad, it makes for a crazy washes of always-in-tune rivers of notes...
I attempted to test a similar setup using my Keystep and after a lot of trial and error, I found out that the Keystep doesn't offer the same external control over the arp that the 37 does, so I wasn't able to get that to work. I did not manage to lock it up though either, so that's good, but also bad. in the sense that if I can recreate it, we might be able to solve the issue.
Dang.
I tested tonight with just my KeyStep (not much time)
Tomorrow I'll use my KeyStep Pro, which has similar features to the 37.

As Jesse said - it doesn't lock up and I was able to get the root note to change once in a while, but not repeatable (the KS Pro should be a better test).

Here's the basics though --
E-RM clock as master on MRCC port 3 (I and O),
NDLR on MRCC B,
KeyStep on MRCC C,
Nord Lead 2 on MRCC 1

port 3 -> port B
port B (USB 3) -> port C
port C (USB 1) -> port 1

KeyStep set to transmit on MIDI channel 5, NL 2 receiving part A on channel 5.
NDLR MIDI Menu - Pad on USB 3
NDLR Clock set to external.

No filtering on the MRCC at all.

If I tried sending clock to both the KeyStep and NDLR, that made things wonky but never locked up the MRCC. The NDLR will send along the clock to the downstream devices if not filtered at the MRCC.
Pressed HOLD on the KeyStep, started the E-RM, the NDLR started, and was sending clock on notes to the KeyStep at that point.

Stay tuned for more tomorrow with the KeyStep Pro.
Wow - that's a beautiful thing indeed.  Thanks for suggesting this flow.

Swapped out KeyStep for the KeyStep Pro.
KS Pro connected to MRCC USB C
NDLR connected to MRCC USB B

Set KS Pro In clock to be USB, selected Track 2, pressed ARP button.  Set MIDI In for track 2 to be MIDI channel 2.

On NDLR (start simple) - Clock Internal, Pad sending on USB 1, channel 2.
MRCC - NDLR (2) route to KS Pro.
Press Pad Start - immediately start hearing pad notes arpeggiate.  Change key, spread, etc on NDLR, hear the new arpeggiations.

Bonus config - using a master clock (E-RM) on MRCC port 3,
set NDLR clock to external (USB 1)
Route clock (3) to NLDR, route clock (3) to KS Pro.
Press start on E-RM, hear cacophony.
Press Pad Stop, Pad Start, all good from that point on.

In both cases, no need for any MRCC filters/routes.

Bottom line -- unfortunately, MIDI often requires musicians to think like engineers, especially when problems arise.
My suggestion - start with a blank MRCC config.  Use NDLR as master clock, set KS37 to use USB for clock, MIDI channel of your choice.
Set NDLR Pad MIDI channel to USB, match KS37 channel.  That should just work.  Expand from there to your full setup.
FYI, when we tested the KeyStep Pro we found that it requires its external power supply even when connected to MRCC's USB host. It briefly draws over 1A on power up, which is an extreme violation of the USB spec. Its not supposed to draw more than 100mA, and it should have inrush current limiting to prevent such high inrush current. This high inrush current trips MRCC's USB host power controller current protection, protecting the MRCC USB controller. This behavior can damage USB controllers that don't have over-current protection, so don't use the KeyStep Pro without its power supply, even if it appears to work.

The only other device we've seen with this problem is the Novation Base Station II. Use it with its external power supply or risk damaging your USB ports.
(10-05-2021, 01:29 PM)Darryl Wrote: FYI, when we tested the KeyStep Pro we found that it [...] briefly draws over 1A on power up, which is an extreme violation of the USB spec.

Mmmh... do you know whether this is also true of the KeyStep37?
Moved another thread here.
So did this problem ever get resolved? It would be good to know the resolution in case other KeyStep37 users run into something similar.