Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OP-1
Hi, I tried connecting the OP-1 to the usb of the MRCC and set the OP-1 to sync, which should allow the OP-1 to listen to clock and transport. However, nothing happens, as if the OP-1 wasn't connected. Can the MRCC act as a USB host for the OP-1? Is there something I do wrong?
(Note, the main controller is the Octatrack connected in the MRCC midi din ~ none of my elektron boxes work with MRCC usb but work fine with midi din)  Thanks
Hi Julien,
Unfortunately the OP1 is one of the devices we were unable to get to work via USB host port during the beta testing. We've posted a spreadsheet with the devices we know work (or not) on the website, I'll put a link below. Most devices that are problematic tend to be devices which have double duty USB roles, for instance in this case the OP1 also appears as a hard drive. I don't know whether or not the OP1 is supposed to be a Class Compliant MIDI keyboard or not, but I know that the Electron boxes aren't. The USB host ports are only supposed to work with MIDI Class Compliant devices, so that's a good thing to check, however we've still had the occasional issue sneak through with those as well.
Jesse
Hi Jesse! Thanks for the answer. Do you know if using something like the Kenton midi usb host box would work? I'm guessing it should..?
Here's the link:
https://conductivelabs.com/helpie_faq/wh...ost-ports/

I can't say for sure whether or not it would, but I'll google it.

Jesse

Here's what I found in a forum:
The simplest (and cheapest, since you already own it) USB Host you can use is the laptop you already own. This will handle talking to the OP-1 and routing the signal to any other USB MIDI device you own. If you want to use the OP-1 with another USB MIDI or MIDI DIN device without a laptop, you will need to purchase something like the OPLAB, iConnectMIDI4+, Kenton USB Host, or CerebelUSB MIDI thingy. Each have their own feature sets that may or may not be useful to you, so research what is worth the money to you. Some also connect to iPads and iPhones for app connectivity. If you just want to connect an iPad/iPhone with the OP-1, several OP-1 users have purchased the Apple USB Camera Connector and have had success.

https://op-forums.com/t/the-definitive-g...-midi/3374
(09-13-2021, 05:22 PM)Julien STG Wrote: Hi Jesse! Thanks for the answer. Do you know if using something like the Kenton midi usb host box would work? I'm guessing it should..?

Hello Julien...

Maybe I can chime in here...

I've successfully used OP-1 with MRCC as follows:

OP-1 is connected to an external powered USB hub (along with 3 Red Panda Labs Effects pedals).

The powered USB hub is then connected to the USB port of a Kenton USB host Mk3.

The Kenton USB host Mk3 5 pin MIDI in port is connected to MRCC as a 5pin MIDI out target.

Then, by making the relevant connections via MRCC from my attached controllers, I can sequence the OP-1 (and the 3 Red Panda pedals for that matter).
I have to say I was a bit frustrated with usb midi because I was having some issues with several devices but after upgrading the device to the latest firmware I've been able to use the torso t-1 and the op-1 and even some adafruit midi diy devices all using usb midi host and that are working so much better. In my previous comment, which I've removed, I mentioned the problems I was having but now that I've upgraded the firmware I am feeling so much more excited by my purchase and can't wait to put this device through it's paces.
Oh that's great, I wonder what the processor is on that and what USB stack they're running on it?
(04-29-2022, 10:37 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Oh that's great, I wonder what the processor is on that and what USB stack they're running on it?

I think the torso uses an esp32
Just received my MRCC the other day, and this is the first thing I tried. Then realized I had read this thread ages ago and this didn't work.

I was on firmware 1.1.041 that shipped with it. Was able to do as described here in the comments and hook into a computer as the host, then send via PC interface through the MRCC.

Then I updated the firmware to the latest on the MRCC (1.1.052) and plugged the OP-1 in directly and it worked! I'm running the latest firmware (#243) on my OP-1 Original. I was only sending OP-1 MIDI out to another device, haven't tried sending MIDI to the OP-1 yet.